Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flooring question--need help! >

Flooring question--need help!

Flooring question--need help!

Old 01-26-2015, 06:41 AM

If your room is big enough for a kick back hand sewing area use an area rug. That way you can have both.I like hard wood but just something about area rugs that make things cozy. It doesn't have to be big, just something to tie a few pieces of furniture together and of course a nice sewing basket to keep your project in.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
What is the under flooring? If it is cement slab then I would go either carpeting or wood laminate with the cushion and vapor barrier under neath for warmth. If you have a heated basement under neath, then go with something firm so you don't get marks from your chair rolling or your cupboard containing your fabric stash. I like the carpet in my sewing room because it cuts down on the threads traveling outside the room.
Another alternative if cement slab is to go with wood or laminate but under your sewing area put a floor heating pad underneath your machine. They come in small sections and only cost pennies a year. That way your feet will be warmer than with carpet.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:47 AM

Hardwood or laminate definitely!! I had carpet and it was hard to get threads vacuumed and pins were hard to find.
With my laminate floor in my sewing room is a god send. I love it and it is so easy to get threads up and find pins. I don't have hard wood but it would be like having laminate. Carpet may be warmer but a headache in a sewing room
Old 01-26-2015, 06:50 AM

http://www.forbo.com

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 01-26-2015, 06:53 AM

I vote for carpet. Not high loft, but a low tight weave.
I moved into the guest bedroom with my sewing almost 10 years ago. I've been rolling around on that bedroom rug all that time, and cannot see where I've been doing that. My chair came with my serger (the serger is suppose to be stored inside), and rolls easily over the carpet. The threads just stay where they fall until I feel like cleaning, and that is not every day.
When I tie quilts, the sewing room is much too small. I have to do it in the living room. There is a large Turkish area rug in there from 1954. While making the ties, I scoot around the quilt on my chair until I get to that rug. I sure is a pain to get stuck on that rug all the time. I have to get up and move the chair onto the rug each time I come to it.
So area rugs are not the answer. Maybe a vinyl mat, but I use nothing.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:04 AM
Suz

My daughter has a cork floor in her sewing room. Wonderful look and very easy on the legs/feet. And it definitely was easy to clean.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:09 AM

I put ceramic tile on my concrete slab that looks like a wooden quilt block. I really like it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	507703  
Old 01-26-2015, 07:31 AM

Laminate! I love laminate flooring. I was so happy when we tore out all the carpet downstairs and put in hard floors!

I have a very thin, low-nap rug I use to protect my floor from my chair. It's meant to be an entry rug in a commercial setting so it's very thin - my chair rolls over it perfectly and dropped needles can't hide in it, and that plus a little velcro helps keep my foot pedal from scooting around. Then in front of my cutting table I have a memory foam rug that was made for kitchen use, gives me a little padded place to stand and cost a lot less (and looks nicer) than an anti-fatigue mat. It's really pleasant to stand on, I'm usually barefoot and it has a sort of minky-like top that my feet really enjoy.

I put little sticky felt feet on all my table legs to protect the floor and to help deaden any vibrations caused by the machines. Works great!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Laminate! I love laminate flooring. I was so happy when we tore out all the carpet downstairs and put in hard floors!

I have a very thin, low-nap rug I use to protect my floor from my chair. It's meant to be an entry rug in a commercial setting so it's very thin - my chair rolls over it perfectly and dropped needles can't hide in it, and that plus a little velcro helps keep my foot pedal from scooting around. Then in front of my cutting table I have a memory foam rug that was made for kitchen use, gives me a little padded place to stand and cost a lot less (and looks nicer) than an anti-fatigue mat. It's really pleasant to stand on, I'm usually barefoot and it has a sort of minky-like top that my feet really enjoy.

I put little sticky felt feet on all my table legs to protect the floor and to help deaden any vibrations caused by the machines. Works great!
Sewnoma, I'm curious about your memory foam rug. Please describe further. Where did you get that?

OH...and as for the vote...I'll go with hardwood floors. I haven't had carpet in years. My last house had saltillo tiles and this house is still being built, so I only have plywood subfloors at this point. (I DON"t recommend that!) The hardwood will be a lot easier to keep clean.

~ Cindy
Old 01-26-2015, 08:23 AM

Those with laminate: does the floor get gouged or nicked when you drop a ruler? Or am I the only one that drops rulers!