Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bleepity Bleep Trouble with New Machine >

Bleepity Bleep Trouble with New Machine

Bleepity Bleep Trouble with New Machine

Old 02-04-2015, 10:48 AM

I took it apart, the discs are clean, put it back together as per instructions on TFSR and watching several videos. Still having a problem. When I thread the machine correctly I have to have the tension at 0 to get a decent stitch. If I do not thread through the take up spring I get a decent stitch with the tension at 4. I've taken the tension assembly apart and put it back together about 6 times, always with the same results. When the dial is at 0 the numbered indicator is all the way out so it isn't that it's adjusted wrong. I'm thinking maybe there is something wrong with the take up spring. Here is a photo of the tension assembly set to 0 and to about 8. I did turn the indicator arrow so it's at the front of the machine. I tried with the take up spring perfectly horizontal then I adjusted it so it is slightly up which is how it is in these photos.

This is what the take up spring looks like when not attached.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

try pushing in on your numbered dial and then turn the nut to tighten it just a little
Old 02-04-2015, 10:57 AM

View from the top of the take up spring.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:39 AM

Party time! I think I figured out my current problem. I changed the thread and bobbin yesterday so this wasn't my original problem. I just took out the bobbin and the thread had come out of the bobbin tension. I am now getting perfect stitches with the upper tension threaded correctly and set to 4.5. Thank you to everyone for all your help and suggestions. I don't know what I would do without you all to come to for help! I think taking apart the tension and putting it together properly fixed the original problem. I just didn't know it until I found that the bobbin thread had slipped out some time today.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:05 PM

thats cool, now you know all about taking these apart, come and fix mine lol.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:28 PM

One thing I do is once I get the tension set where it sews good, I hold the nob and rotate the number ring till #3 is at the indicator. It's just a point of reference so you can pic what ever number suits you.

Joe
Old 02-04-2015, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
One thing I do is once I get the tension set where it sews good, I hold the nob and rotate the number ring till #3 is at the indicator. It's just a point of reference so you can pic what ever number suits you.

Joe
Good point. Great way of doing it, but, sewers need to remember bobbins and bobbin cases vary such that each combination has to be tested and adjusted to the best "tight" stitch.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:30 AM

It's amazing how taking the top tension apart and cleaning it solves so many problems-many times without even finding anything obviously wrong.
Rodney
Old 02-05-2015, 08:27 AM

Rodney,

Sometimes, it's just oil residue.

I once had a machine that had tension issues. I took the disks apart at Miriam's recommendation and they looked clean. But I cleaned them with alcohol just to be sure. Put it back together, tweaked it a bit and it sewed great.

It seems that it doesn't take much debris or contaminant to cause tension problems.

Joe
Old 02-05-2015, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

It doesn't seem to matter if you can see it or not - I don't really get why cleaning BOTH tensions does wonders - I just do it when I clean up a machine. That is just less things to worry about.