Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
New sewing rooms are organized! >

New sewing rooms are organized!

New sewing rooms are organized!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:32 PM

Great room, so well organized.
My concern is that while quilts supposed to be protected from the acids in wood, wouldn't this apply to fabric as well? Or is the polyurethane finish on the wood enough?
Old 02-04-2015, 07:39 PM

Your Aunti would be pleased with all you have been able to accomplish since May. Looks like a happy place.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
Great room, so well organized.
My concern is that while quilts supposed to be protected from the acids in wood, wouldn't this apply to fabric as well? Or is the polyurethane finish on the wood enough?
Good question. Hmmm. Most of the fabric sits above the wood by virtue of being wrapped on those Polar Notions boards. But of course the bottom fabric of the stacks do sit on the wood, and some of the wrapped "bolts" do touch it. Hmmm. I'll have to let you know on that one. I didn't use polyurethane. I just stained and put them up. I didn't know about protecting from acids. Thanks for the tip! I suppose I could cover the shelf surfaces with clear contact paper if it becomes a problem.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:11 AM

I'm now working on a "design wall curtain." Purchased 3 yards of 60" wide felt yesterday, and had some wide quilt binding found in Aunti's stash. I'll post pictures when I figure out how best to hang it. Again, thanks for all the kind comments!

Last edited by Bequest; 02-05-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:53 AM

Wow, your room is beautiful! Great layout, plus nice wall color and light. I thought mine was pretty good but you've given me ideas to improve it.

Marilyn
Old 02-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Looks awesome...Great job....
Old 02-05-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Oh my, what a great room and fabric selection! You will want to either cover your fabric or your window to prevent your fabric from fading even from indirect sunlight.
So, tonight we solved this problem by constructing a design wall. My hubby found some 1/4" steel rods at the hardware store. I bought 3 yards of 60" wide felt. Aunti had some 1/2" double-wide bias tape in her stash. I bound the edges, and my hubby threaded the rods through the resulting pocket top and bottom. He put cup hooks into the ceiling, slid the rods into the cup hooks and voila! A design wall.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508978[/ATTACH]

The only thing is that I can't see my rainbow of fabrics... it was a choice of either masking the wall of fabric or the window light, and I love looking out a window during the day, so I decided that I can take down the design wall fabric at will, or (probably more likely) I can roll it up to the ceiling when I'm choosing fabrics from the wall. It has ties on it so I can roll it up and tie it there. I may make multiple layers to my design wall in time (as I saw on Pinterest).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dw.png
Views:	196
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	508978  

Last edited by Bequest; 02-05-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bequest View Post
I'm now working on a "design wall curtain." Purchased 3 yards of 60" wide felt yesterday, and had some wide quilt binding found in Aunti's stash. I'll post pictures when I figure out how best to hang it. Again, thanks for all the kind comments!
Great room, so well organized. Fabulous stach. you are a lucky gal!!

Could be a rigid two panels desing wall hung on a rail and sliding side to side as closet doors?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by tron80 View Post
Great room, so well organized. Fabulous stach. you are a lucky gal!!

Could be a rigid two panels design wall hung on a rail and sliding side to side as closet doors?
I am indeed blessed. Two panels that slide would be dreamy; great idea for the future! For now, hubby figured out an inexpensive way that's working for me. Remember, I'm pretty new. It's going to take awhile for me to get up to the quantity of projects that I see represented on these boards!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:29 PM

sorry to hear about your Aunt, but hurray for being on the gifting end of the fabric.