Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-04-2015, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Here in WV we have a "Road Kill" cook off contest. Like a box of Cracker Jack you never know what you are going to get. Suppose to be a big event but never have attended.
Ha ha ha - now I have to tell our road kill story.
I was at work and got the call from DH - we got a deer! bring ice, cling wrap, zip bags, and what not. OK. not a lot of time for a long call... So I got home... we had just built a garage and there is DH and his buddy with the deer hung from the new rafters hosing the deer - blood going all over the new garage. ggggrrrrr.... Then I find my then 8 year old son in his room crying for the deer. DD thought they should han the deer head on the wall the 8 year old is imitating the limp deer - nope it won't hang on the wall... LOL THEN I get more of the story. The NEW (from the city no less) neighbor lady saw the deer go down so she called the Ranger - the Ranger told her it would be ok the people (us) across the street would EAT it. She really wigged out. She thought the Ranger would give it a decent burial I guess. Well we did eat the deer and it WAS good. It took about 6 months before the lady across the street would speak to us. One morning DS woke up and saw the geese the lady fed every day laying in her driveway. Someone had shot them in the head. He looked at the lady and said nobody should shoot a critter they weren't going to eat. She was ok after that. Go figure. Then she adopted a stray dog and she had him walk the dog - they became fast friends. We got part of another deer one time. Some how he got into a fancy restaurant and trashed the place - somehow they got the deer shot and we got one of the legs - it was good, too.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:22 AM

Dated an unusual man a long time ago, like when dinosaurs roamed the earth as my kids would say, who routinely made road kill chili and served it to dates and other people in his life. He was a good man and totally into consuming nature's bounty if it was fresh road kill. Must have been, I never got sick from eating the chili.
My late darling grandmother would pick up fresh road kill rabbits to feed to her cats. They liked rabbit meat and it was easier than hunting them.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:52 AM

Sewing machines bring out the best story tellers. Nice that we can carry on this way!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

it is a diversion - sewing machine CAN get boring... who knew road kill would be such a good topic......... we used to have a Road Kill Grill poster on the fridge - it hid the dents and rust...
Old 02-04-2015, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
it is a diversion - sewing machine CAN get boring... who knew road kill would be such a good topic......... we used to have a Road Kill Grill poster on the fridge - it hid the dents and rust...
We had other posters on the fridge growing up but served the same purpose. One was Rewett (sp?) & Sibley's tractor advertisement.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:07 AM

There is a Road Kill Cafe in NV.
My husband has the tee shirt with the menu printed on it..
Old 02-04-2015, 10:30 AM

you pick up road kill in this state and get caught , you know all about jail house coffee
Old 02-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
you pick up road kill in this state and get caught , you know all about jail house coffee
That's why the Ranger brought it to us
Old 02-05-2015, 08:49 PM

Had a neighbor and his long time friend over for the Superbowl this weekend. The friend grew up and lives in Wasilla, AK. Let me just say that I was humbled as he drooled over our collection of machines. He'd never touched a handcrank nor ever met a vibrating shuttle machine. His favorite for upholstery? A Dressmaker he purchased for $15 at a yard sale.

When provided with his machine's history and an alternative for turning the handwheel for precision stitches, the problem solving wheels in his head just started turning! "The history of our area began in 1930 and the few homesteaders that stuck with the land."

Counting my blessings... and appreciating how grand a collection can make me feel!
Old 02-06-2015, 08:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
Counting my blessings... and appreciating how grand a collection can make me feel!
That is awesome! Thanks for sharing that!