Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 02-09-2015, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
QuiltsRFun ... I love the backing fabric, and I love the square-in-square you did for the center!! Makes me want to go back and re-do all my centers!
I agree - the square in a square adds a focus to the center of the block - very striking!

Your backing if fun and whimsical like the front - great colours!
Old 02-09-2015, 04:10 PM

quiltsRFun, your block is beautiful, and I love your backing fabric!

Julie, I think the owl fabric would be great.

I'm feeling quite discouraged, because I am losing my double diamond points when sewing my blocks together. I foolishly trimmed them for length without realizing I was trimming away my quarter inch seam.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I'm feeling quite discouraged, because I am losing my double diamond points when sewing my blocks together. I foolishly trimmed them for length without realizing I was trimming away my quarter inch seam.
If it's consistent you could call it a design choice. That's the way you intended it. Right?
Old 02-09-2015, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by baronreads View Post
Here are two other options I found for backing at Joann. Any comments? Preferences? Thanks!
I can't believe I'm saying this....but the skulls are definitely the most funky for your backing...go for it!
Old 02-09-2015, 07:45 PM

Either are perfect...though I'm partial to the owls.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Sewplease (Laura), what kind of doggies are yours in your avatar? They are adorable!
Ready for a story? :-)
They are miniature pinschers or minpins. They are rescues I found online at a shelter north of Houston (I live south of Houston). They are an elderly pair that had always lived together and were left at a kill shelter for whatever reason. The staff had kept them for 2 months but their time was running out. I thought who else would want them and drove an hour to get them. One of my 20+ yo sons went with me for the ride...a friend had borrowed my dog crate and I thought he could hold them on the way home. When we got there a sign said any animal dropped off that day would be euthanized. So sad. The shelter was FULL and they were frantically trying to give cats away, too. My son decided then he wanted a cat. I'm thinking no way, but finally agreed thinking the ride home would be very interesting to say the least, but it was amazing - the two dogs slept on the back seat and the cat sat on my son's lap purring...not a bark, growl, or meow all the way home.
Max is the black male and is rather large. Xena is smaller and older, I think. I will have them three years this summer. :-)

Edited to add: The cat is the sweetest, best cat ever, and lives happily with my son and his two dogs.

Last edited by sewplease; 02-09-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by baronreads View Post
Here are two other options I found for backing at Joann. Any comments? Preferences? Thanks!
Julie, I personally prefer the owls - I tend to light a lighter backing and think it's very cute, BUT I went back and took another look at the skulls and they did make me smile. :-)
Old 02-09-2015, 09:55 PM

Laura, I took our cat to school for show and tell when my DD was in grade school. The ride was on 1/2 mile and the cat peed on her on the way. We had to drive back home to give her a bath and fresh clothes.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:58 AM

sewplease, how wonderful for you fur-babies that you cared enough to go to that trouble to rescue them but I expect you feel now that it was all worth while as rescued fur-babies seem to know and reward you with such love and companionship, don't ask me how I know I smiled at the tale of the journey home as my much loved departed Muffin did exactly the same, they do find being in kennels so very stressful. May you have some more wonderful years together.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
Ready for a story? :-)
They are miniature pinschers or minpins. They are rescues I found online at a shelter north of Houston (I live south of Houston). They are an elderly pair that had always lived together and were left at a kill shelter for whatever reason. The staff had kept them for 2 months but their time was running out. I thought who else would want them and drove an hour to get them. One of my 20+ yo sons went with me for the ride...a friend had borrowed my dog crate and I thought he could hold them on the way home. When we got there a sign said any animal dropped off that day would be euthanized. So sad. The shelter was FULL and they were frantically trying to give cats away, too. My son decided then he wanted a cat. I'm thinking no way, but finally agreed thinking the ride home would be very interesting to say the least, but it was amazing - the two dogs slept on the back seat and the cat sat on my son's lap purring...not a bark, growl, or meow all the way home.
Max is the black male and is rather large. Xena is smaller and older, I think. I will have them three years this summer. :-)

Edited to add: The cat is the sweetest, best cat ever, and lives happily with my son and his two dogs.
Sweet story, Laura. I'm so glad you could adopt them together and your son got a wonderful cat too! My daughter adopted a kitty from a shelter and she is the most personable and sweet kitty ever.