Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Question >

Design Question

Design Question

Old 02-10-2015, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I think the two colors per block is going to work better for you. One thing I notice is that your greens are all about the same color and value, which means that they are going to look pretty much like the same color all the way around the animal. (Squint and look at your layout and you'll see what I mean.) I think the look of the quilt would be much more interesting if you alternate those greens with some lighter greens or a yellow, or tan... anything that would provide more contrast. Then make the blocks with the darker color in the corners for half of the blocks, and the lighter color in the corners for the other half. That way when you put them together you can have darks next to light and lights next to darks, but no two of the same value side by side. It makes for a much more pleasing look. Good luck!

I agree about the same value of the green color. That was My first thought.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
All I can say is that this generation of mommies have got a different color taste in baby quilts. I guess traditional baby quilts have been tossed aside with the bath water!!
Define "traditional baby quilt" please!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
Haven't done this sort of thing for a while. (This is a baby quilt following momma's instructions. I think my family is a bit off???)
Nine patches with a fussy cut animal center. Final size will be 9 inches sq. MY question is whether to mix 8 colours/pattern in each nine patch or use two. I'm thinking limiting two is a more cohesive and calming? look?
I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Your green choices are close enough in value that using all 8 pieces in one block works for me. Can't say I'd always go for 8 different pieces.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:47 AM

I love all of the greens, and the fabrics ! I also like the 2 color block, but maybe a little more contrast? like a lighter green in there or something to brighten it a little ? I love the animal blocks, are they all different or all bears?