Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your personal quality standards? >

what are your personal quality standards?

what are your personal quality standards?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
I was reading Harriet Hargrove's 'Machine Quilting' book and became immediately depressed. The intricacy of the quilting in that book is something I don't think I will ever achieve.

Then I started thinking...do I want to be a "master quilter?" I decided I would rather be a cozy quilter than a master quilter. I can be so obsessed about seams and points and lines that I decided if I become too picky it will take the joy right out of it. I like to make quilted things and dolls for gifts and enjoyment and therapy and am considering selling as well, and I want them to look "Nancy Perfect", but I also need to feel happy about the process and the end result.

So, to what standard do you hold your quilting?
Quilts are homemade. I consider everything i make an original one of a kind. nuttin has to be perfect.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:07 AM

A hug is better than a ribbon. It feels good.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 AM

to imagine and then create makes me happy. My goal is to be happy, and I cannot be idle and be happy. When you create, you try new things and sometimes they work well and sometimes they don't, thats part of the learning process. I don't stress out over something that is not perfect, but I also like to think that with everything I do, I will get better and someday perhaps, I can be a master quilter/sewer...it is good to dream!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 AM

I would say I am defenately a Cozy Quilter. To me what is most important is that it is done. While I have a huge stash of fabrics I have very few UFOs. I don't usually start something that I don't finish. The only place there is a backup is in craft projects like purses for other people. It amazes me how many of my friends make these masterpiece tops that may only be quilted if someone else does it for them. In my book it's not a quilt until it's quilted.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 AM

What a great term-cozy quilter! I think we are all our own worst critics. I try to be perfect, but never achieve "perfection" Even doctors are still practicing and they went to school for 10 years to be able to practice. everyone is an individual and has their own level of workmanship. i also doubt if my quilts will ever be in a quilt show and that's fine with me. I enjoy making them and giving them. If the recipient likes it that's a bonus!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Cozy Quilter it is.. I havent' been quilting long and I stopped and put everything away for a few months cause it was getting more like a job then hobby or fun. When I did the table toppers and wall hangings for some friends of mine I would say I don't like my quilting or this isn't right and they would tell me to be quiet because I am too hard on myself. Now I am back quilting and it is hard for me not to be critical of my work, but I just want to have fun with it like I do when crocheting, or cross stitching, except doing the hand quilting is more relaxing at times to me. I will never do a quilt to be in a show of any sort cause I know it will never be good enough (at least to me) - So yes, now I am trying to enjoy the quilting process and just have fun and be a Cozy Quilter.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM

I like the term "cozy quilter' also. I gave up on perfection long ago. If i can get just one aspect of quilting perfectly I would be happy. i personally do not like the quilting proces, so consequently I have lots of pieced tops that "i" am pleased with. I give them as gifts along with the batting and backing.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

When I first started, I had the "3x rule" If a point did not match perfectly, I would take it out twice if necessary. I would adjust, manipulate, even redo the piece. If, at my third attempt, it still fell short, it stayed where it was. (My matchy rule was within 1/16 of an inch). Once the quilt was finished and quilted, I was generally not even able to find these points that gave me grief. So I have relaxed my standards a bit. I just don't want anything to jump out at me when all is said and done.

I'm a relaxed utilitarian quilter.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by littlehud
I try to do thing well, but perfection isn't a reasonable goal for me. You are right, I need to enjoy the process too.

this answer works for me:-D
I want to keep trying to do my best, but in the end, I do need to get enjoyment or I procrastinate about getting on with things and to the next project.
I'd rather leave behind a stack of finished 'lovables', than a few 'under glass'...although I do ooh and ahh over those kind of quilts too. :-D
Old 01-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by granny216
Years ago I received one of those over the arm pincushion, pocket things and it reads: Use what talents you possess. " The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those who sang best." I try my best to do the best in quilting but sometimes a corner isn't perfect, the seam doesn't match...and sometimes I try to fix it but that pin cushion is an everlasting reminder to all at our house.
I love this saying!
when I was in high school I noticed that most of the 'popular' girls were usually very pretty, had the best clothes, etc. etc.
I also noticed that the ppl in my opinion that had the best 'over-all' personalities, weren't always in that crowd.
I wasn't in that crowd, and none of my friends were, but we shared classes with them, bc we were just as smart.
So,...I guess it's the same with everything, even quilting.
Whatever makes you happy, you will gravitate toward.
I admire the more perfect, and will never stop trying to learn to improve, but I will make, use and enjoy...the cozy:wink: