Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uh-Oh, Something Went Wrong >

Uh-Oh, Something Went Wrong

Uh-Oh, Something Went Wrong

Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
First off, you picked the right block to "mess up" on. That block can be added to infinitely until you get the size you want.

Second. Get a copy of Elenor Burns "Quilt in a Day" for Log Cabin. You will learn so much bout how to avoid simple mistakes like seam allowances. You will learn how to look at a pattern and piece it the most efficient way. You will see the many, many ways to put Log Cabin Quilts together. My favorite is "Barn Raising".

Lastly, don't worry too much about how little you know about sewing. I never sewed a single stitch until I started my first quilt (a Queen sized Yellow Brick Road). And I have the added disadvantage of being male *L*.

My first Log Cabin Quilt:

tim in san jose
Tim, that is so nice, I like the manner in which the center and outside piece match up...
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 PM

I love the colors you choose.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
First off, you picked the right block to "mess up" on. That block can be added to infinitely until you get the size you want.

Second. Get a copy of Elenor Burns "Quilt in a Day" for Log Cabin. You will learn so much bout how to avoid simple mistakes like seam allowances. You will learn how to look at a pattern and piece it the most efficient way. You will see the many, many ways to put Log Cabin Quilts together. My favorite is "Barn Raising".

Lastly, don't worry too much about how little you know about sewing. I never sewed a single stitch until I started my first quilt (a Queen sized Yellow Brick Road). And I have the added disadvantage of being male *L*.

My first Log Cabin Quilt:

tim in san jose
Love the quilt Tim! I hope my quilt comes out as nice as yours. A lot of people have been suggesting this book, I think I'll make a stop at the bookstore today.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by anglgrl
I like it too, But when I make something for the first time and its small like that I use it for a pot holder. Then Im still using it and continue on, It makes me feel better when I can see my progress as time goes on.
Yay for pot holders!!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

I love all the pictures and I would just keep making your log cabin blocks and either add another row each direction or add a border or two to make it the size you want it to be. Next time try a regular log cabin pattern. Lots of books out there. I have been quilting for 43-44 yr.s and still mess up, always a way to correct a mistake or can always add something to it. Just keep trying. Whatever you come up with will be beautiful. :D :D :D
Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 AM

wow that is a long time to quilt I wish i could say that. 5 yrs is not that long but I have learned alot and I cant wait until I get much better.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
Originally Posted by littlehud
That pesky little quarter inch can get you every time. Show us a pic of your block anyway.
:oops: This is my first project on my sewing machine. As you can probably tell, I don't sew, and I had the nerve to try stitch in the ditch! It's a little squirrely but since this was a practice piece I thought I'd give it a shot. I definitely need lots more practice before moving on.

I thought 1/4" seam was already included before I cut. I guess I'm not good w/instructions either.
For a first attempt, it's not all that bad...and I agree with the other quilters' hints...and with practice, you'll get even better. And sometimes all of us have problems with instructions, especially if not printed or explained clearly.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:20 PM

When I look at your photo, I see stitching on the right side of your block. None of the stitching should be showing on the right side of the block.
I think that maybe you've had trouble working out how to do foundation piecing all by yourself - I would think that most people have someone demonstrate it for them. I know that I had trouble understanding how to pin the fabric on the unprinted side of the paper, flip the paper over, and sew on the printed line.
There are lots of sites on the internet that might help - the one below looks useful.

http://www.wikihow.com/Foundation-Piece-a-Quilt-Block
Old 01-10-2010, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by MaryA
When I look at your photo, I see stitching on the right side of your block.
I think she has already quilted the block. Looks to me like there is batting at the edge.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by MaryA
When I look at your photo, I see stitching on the right side of your block.
I think she has already quilted the block. Looks to me like there is batting at the edge.
I was trying the 'quilt as you go method' on a practice square. Once the square was finished, I thought I might as well try 'stitch in the ditch'. Neither were successful, but today my practice pieces are looking a tad better. :oops: