Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your "must have" quilting tool? >

What is your "must have" quilting tool?

What is your "must have" quilting tool?

Old 02-13-2015, 02:49 PM

Default What is your "must have" quilting tool?

I've always used just the basics; scissors, needle, thread, seem ripper, etc. I make my templates out of poster board most of the time. I did receive a 60 degree ruler from a friend as a gift and I've used it several times. I have a cutting mat and rotary cutter. But, I'm not real happy with it. I'm wanting to branch out a little bit and pick up a few quilting tools. So, what would you suggest I get and what kind?
Old 02-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

If all you have is a mat and the cutter, no wonder you are not happy with it. Get a latex ruler, maybe 3 x 18 or 6 x 24 inches, and use that on the mat with your cutter. There are many online videos that demonstrate how to use a rotary cutter and ruler. It's so much faster and more accurate than scissors!
Old 02-13-2015, 03:10 PM

I have a pair of scissors. I trim threads with it. Fabric is always cut on a mat with a 6x24 ruler and a large angled rotary cutter. Saves on the wrist. i have no idea how you would cut straight lines without this set up.

As far as 'must have', groovy boards for my long arm. I now make them myself in my shop. I guess I have turned into a sophisticated quilter. tim in san jose
Old 02-13-2015, 04:33 PM

I think you are seriously hindering yourself by not buying a "few" templates and expanding your horizons......check MSQC the techniques along with the templates might interest you .....or Eleanor burns/quilt in a day........nothing extreme and "use only once" rulers, but things you will reach for regularly.....
Old 02-13-2015, 04:39 PM

I love my rotary cutter and cutting mat...and I love the creative grid rulers. It did take a while to get till I felt confident in my cutting, but now I don't dread cutting at all. I do prefer Olfa rotary cutters, though I have heard others like other styles but will use the olfa blades in them. I use the big rotary cutter at least 75% of the time. The big blades cost more but they last a lot longer. I have had two different white mats that I do not like...love the green mats by Olfa.

And I love good, thin straight pins.

I LOVE my Juki 98Q for piecing and freemotion quilting...but I think you are meaning the smaller accessories.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:17 PM

I love the june tailor shape cut plus for strips. I also like my 5x18 ruler. Creative grids is a good brand similar to the brand I use that has been discontinued. Those are the 2 rulers I use the most and then I have squares of several sizes for squaring up blocks. My fave rotary cutters are olfa. I have the 45mm splash and the 60mm quick change. Also have the 45mm gingher which I also love better than my ergonomic 45mm olfa. I still use june tailor mat but want to invest in a martelli because there mats are the nicest IMHO. Deb tucker makes nice specialty rulers but they are pricey. It really depends on what type of quilts you make. I also like the slidelock, got one for valentines, can't wait for it to come in, been wanting it for so long.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:28 PM

I think the gloves I wear when machine quilting really help me grip and move the fabric under the needle. I would recommend them.

http://www.amazon.com/Fons-Porter-Ma.../dp/B000J3TWSY
Old 02-13-2015, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I love the june tailor shape cut plus for strips. I also like my 5x18 ruler. Creative grids is a good brand similar to the brand I use that has been discontinued. Those are the 2 rulers I use the most and then I have squares of several sizes for squaring up blocks. My fave rotary cutters are olfa. I have the 45mm splash and the 60mm quick change. Also have the 45mm gingher which I also love better than my ergonomic 45mm olfa. I still use june tailor mat but want to invest in a martelli because there mats are the nicest IMHO. Deb tucker makes nice specialty rulers but they are pricey. It really depends on what type of quilts you make. I also like the slidelock, got one for valentines, can't wait for it to come in, been wanting it for so long.
What is the slidelock and what does it do?
Old 02-13-2015, 05:48 PM

Clover extra thin piecing pins! Thin. You can sew and iron over them if you wanted (I don't), but they've improved my accuracy and I would be unable to start a project without them.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:49 PM

Tucker Trimmer 2- it's a ruler by Deb Tucker for squaring up blocks. I use it also to do hourglass blocks and half square triangles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw7qi3uHUZg

Last edited by berryberry; 02-13-2015 at 05:54 PM.