Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Newbie from Colorado >

Newbie from Colorado

Newbie from Colorado

Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by greeley-gal
Just noticed a Western Slope (CO) person here too. I spend time in Gunnison - have a small condo there. IF I want to sew or quilt there I have to be sure I have everthing I need as there is NO place to purchase any sewing goods. Wally World eliminated their fabric and the only quilting store closed about 5 years ago.
C
I lived in Gunnison for years. My parents moved there when I was only a couple of months old. We lived in a little house off Boulevard for five years. We moved to Colorado Springs, but I returned to Gunnison for a couple of years to go to college. I still have many friends that live down there. My uncle married a local and her parents still live there. Glenn and Pauline Chinery. I lived out by Parlin for a year too. I used to ride my horse all over the hills around there and my dad and the men in my family hunt up there every year. I love that area of the state. However, I do not miss the cold at all! Whenever I think it is cold here, I watch the news and think how happy I am that I don't still live in Gunnison.

My parents live near Salida, so I get to escape up to the mountains every so often, but it is not nearly as cold there as in Gunnison. BTW - There is a new quilt/yarn shop in Salida. The quilt shop in Poncha Springs closed a few years ago, so it is good to see another one open up.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:53 AM

OMG! The Chinerys?? Small world it is... I do genealogy, and my great grandfather went to Gunnison with my grandmother when she was just a babe. My grandmother and grandfather were married at the home of C.E. Chinery. My g-grandpa's brother married Mildred Chinery...

I miss so many of these places that have been mentioned here!! I think I need a trip to Colorado!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 AM

Oh what a small world! We love Gunny and the area around it although I am definetly through with mountain 4wheeling!!! My roots were in MN so the cold in Gunny doesn't bother me BUT I don't have to stay all winter - I can get away to Greeley. Love xcountry skiing and biking in the summer. Misty Marie, I don't know the Chinery's but I am sure my friends, who are locals know them. Looks like you are Charlee could be "shirt-tail" relatives. I've heard about the shop in Salida but can't get my husband to stop on our way to Gunny - guess next summer I'll have to make a trip over the mountain alone. Tis a privilidge to live in Colorado!!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM

Ah...the memories that are flooding back! Fishing trips on Black Mesa...Kebbler Pass...Crested Butte...lived in Almont for a short time...

~happy lil sigh~
Old 01-08-2010, 09:48 AM

You might not recognize CB now - it is quite a tourist area, especially on the mountain. Love to walk down Elk Street and window shop. Almont is still very pretty - and the resort restaurant is still going - - sometimes good food sometimes only passable. I was treated to my first raft trip on the Taylor this year - loved it!!! I think, my kids who treated me, created a monster!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:50 AM

I ice-skated on Blue Mesa when I was a little girl and ice-fished on it as an adult. I used to salmon fish up near Almont. I spent a summer working with a group of Texas A & M graduate students up above Pitkin at the Alpine Tunnel. I've cross-country skied over old Monarch pass several times. Wanita Hot Springs lake has provided my countless trout over the last thirty years. It is my favorite place to fish. I have explored so much of that country on horseback, jeep, and foot that I feel like I could be a tour guide! I just love that part of the state.

I really miss living up there. City living is not for me. My parents moved out of Colorado Springs so they could get back to the mountains, but unfortunately, I am stuck living in a big city.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:41 PM

Haven't seen anyone skating on Blue Mesa recently but the ice fisher people are there. I grew up in MN where ice fishing is a real production - heated ice houses that people actually will sleep in. Haven't been to the Alpine Tunnel - dh was very uncomfortable on the road leading there so we turned back - he didn't offer tl let me drive <VBG> Wanita Hot Springs is neat - we wanted to use the Springs but cannot due so during the time the resort is open - we'll have to try again next fall after they close. Love hiking in the Gunny area -recently we hiked along an old narrow gage railroad path - it was up the Ohio Pass road - very interesting. I don't believe this train ever ran and the tracks ended on the top of Ohio Pass.
I too prefer the rural area to city - was raised in Mpls and it's a great city TO visit.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM

My mom said that the year we ice skated on Blue Mesa as an oddity in weather. The temperature dropped, but it didn't snow. The water froze solid, but no snow had fallen on top of it and it was like a gigantic rink. We have never seen it like that since.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM

Welcome from IA our brother used to live in Aurora so have seen pictures of your part of Colorado. I have been Boulder and Colorado Springs. You have lovely country out there. Hope you enjoy the board.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:53 PM

I would love to skate on Blue Mesa - and when the wind comes up it would/could push you along - There is a covered rink in Jorgenson Park now - I think it was finished last year. Mostly it is used for hockey.