Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need to vent! >

I need to vent!

I need to vent!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 AM

I think your prices were also to low. I charge that much or more just to handquilt a top. I also charge extra for the batting, backing, marking and binding. The only customer I ever had who was willing to pay was a woman who owned a custom framing business. She had a collection of tops her grandmother had made that she wanted finished.

My most recent would be customer was a couple who had at least 50 T shirts they wanted made into a quilt. I told them basically $10 a square foot plus materials. They never came back. I have a feeling they were picking my brain in an effort to do it themselves. Good luck with that project.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

A few have asked me how much I would charge to make a quilt, I give them the name of the nearest quilt shop and say go there and look at the fabric, thread, batting, add $200 - $300 for my labor and then we'll talk. One lady did call back and say she had no idea the cost of quilt fabric.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:05 AM
cjc

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i've become convinced that getting the right price for a quilt depends almost entirely on where it's offered for sale. the same quilt will sell for $1,000 or more from a gallery. at a craft sale or flea market, i'll bet a person would be "lucky" to get a few hundred.

i don't seek commissons. i don't like working under a deadline. i also end up having to make quilts using colors and fabrics i may not like very much. not fun.

if somebody asks, i tell them my prices start at $200 - regardless of size.

if they have the "guts" to keep the conversation going, i talk to them about the different factors that go into determining the final price.

if they keep going, and i'm interested in taking the commission, i offer to show them a few design proposals and quotes for each.

if they gasp at any point during this process i remind them that they will end up with a one-of-a-kind family heirloom (IF they take proper care of it). i promise that i never make the same quilt for more than one person.

in the case of baby/children's quilts, i point out that every quilt i make is test laundered so they KNOW it will stand up to use, abuse, and lots of love.

i explain that i won't be offended if they go for a bed-in-the-bag. if they don't care that their bedroom looks exactly like 5,000 others then neither do i.

if they "insist" on making the deal then i "sacrifice" my time and take the money when i'm done.

if they decide to go elsewhere, i'm VERY happy to have rescued the time i'd have spent making something they want so i can spend it making whatever pleases me at the time. ;-)
This is exactly right! It's marketing 101. Do not cheapen your end product by devaluing it. If someone really wants the product and knows the value of it they will think your products are not valuable because you priced them too low. I used to make and sell jewelry and did a lot of research on pricing. The best advice I was ever given was that you are pricing your product for someone who can afford to pay the price that it is worth because someone who cannot afford it is still not going to purchase it.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 AM

I TOTALLY AGREE...I HAVE MADE SO MANY PEOPLE QUILTS AS GIFTS, BUT WOULD NEVER EVEN BEGIN TO TRY SELLING THEM TO ANYONE BECAUSE THEY COULD NEVER AFFORD TO PAY ME FOR MY TIME AND MATERIAL IF I QUOTED THEM A TRUE PRICE...STILL THE JOY AND FUN OF QUILTING MAKES IT ALL WORTHWHILE...
Old 01-08-2010, 08:37 AM

I don't think your prices are too high, but you can not compete with WalMart, Target, Kmart, etc. I think that QuiltMom has the right idea along with the suggestion of sending them to the local quilt shop and look at fabrics, batting, etc., then come back to talk to you if they're still interested.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:54 AM

When someone wants me to make a quilt, I ask them to purchase the fabric. I will even go with them to help select fabric & make sure they get the right amounts, but at least they then see the cost of materials used. Then I try to keep track of how much time I put into making the quilt. Of course, I never really earn enough to pay for my time as I am a perfectionist. I have sold a few of my quilts as I more than I will ever use in my lifetime, but I don't think I actually "made" any money when selling them.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:06 AM

I have one ? not on what you put on here but I do agree with the other that is a reasonable price. Here's my ?

Where are those cats ears? :lol:
Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

print out prices off the internet of quilts for sale and paste them up for all to see!! large quilt stores have quilts for sale on their sites by individuals. $400.00 and up usually.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 PM

I am so validated after reading your posts! It makes me feel so much better that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem!

I am trying to make a side business of this though, so it's very frustrating when people walk away after being quoted a price.

I posted on Craigslist that I can make custom quilts, and they START at $50. (For a 20X20'' wall hanging!!!!) and this lady was expecting to get a full size quilt for $50! I can't even begin to purchase the needed materials for $50!

Some people are just too spoiled for their own good. *sigh*
Old 01-08-2010, 01:12 PM

So I just wrote out what I think is a pretty detailed break-down of my time and materials cost for my quilts. Take a look at it and tell me what you think.

Quilt Price Breakdown

Material Cost: This is a list of all materials required to make a quilt. This is materials estimation ONLY. Please note: the cost of fabric is an ever changing thing. Therefore I have put into this estimate a very low general figure for each yard cost of fabric. Depending on when you purchase your quilt from me, the cost could be more or less, but I am only charging a flat fee for these materials. Also each quilt is completely different in design, shape, size and pattern. Therefore your quilt could end up using more materials than what I have written out here, as this is just a ballpark figure of what it takes generally speaking.

Front Fabric Estimate:
Wall-hanging (36’’X36’’ or thereabouts)---$4/yd X 2 yards= $8
Nap Blanket (50’’X50’’ or thereabouts)---$4/yrd X 3 yards =$12
Twin ---$4/yd X 4 yards =$16
Full---$4/yd X5 yards =$20
Queen --$4/yd X 6 yards= $24
King $4/yd X 8 yards =$32

Batting Estimate:
Wall-hanging-------$6/yd X2 yards = $12
Nap Blanket---------$6/yd X3 yards =$18
Twin ---------------$6/yd X4 yards =$24
Full----------------$6/yd X 5 yards =$30
Queen -----------$6/yd X 6 yards =$36
King --------------$6/yd X 8 yards =$48

Backing Fabric Estimate:
Wall-hanging ---$4/yd X 2 yards= $8
Nap Blanket---$4/yd X 3 yards =$12
Twin ---$4/yd X 4 yards =$16
Full---$4/yd X5 yards =$20
Queen --$4/yd X 6 yards= $24
King $4/yd X 8 yards =$32

Embellishment Estimate:
Pictures---$5 per picture
Appliqué $5 per piece
Embroidery $10 for a name, $20 for inscription

Misc Supplies Estimate
Thread----$3/spool X 2 spools per quilt
Yard (for tied quilts) $6/skein X 2 skeins per quilt
Quilting- thread (for quilted quilts) $12/spool X 4 spools per quilt

Labor Cost Estimation
This is a breakdown of the labor involved in putting together and creating your one-of-a-kind quilt. This is to in no way be the final price that I am held to, rather a peek into the inner-workings of creating your quilt. My labor is priced low because I love doing this and I don’t consider it work. However I do have to charge something for it!

(haven't figured out what to charge yet!)

Drafting/Laying out the quilt
.5-2 hrs (depending on how complicated a design)
Selecting the materials
1-3 hours (again depending on how complicated the quilt design is)
Preparing the materials
1-3 hours (washing the fabric, drying, ironing)
Cutting/piecing
8-12 hours (cutting the design out, piecing the pieces together, pinning, etc)
Sew/piecing
24-48 hours (sewing each block, assembling the blocks into rows, ironing, etc)
Embellishment work (if applicable)
8-10 hours (assembling materials for pictures, adding embroidery, adding names, etc)
Assembling the top
6-12 hours (sewing the rows into pieces to be joined, squaring up, adding borders, etc)
Piecing the back
2-3 hours (making sure the fabric is the right size, cutting, measuring, sewing)
Sandwiching the layers
2-3 hours (getting everything to lay flat smooth and even together, basting, ironing, etc)
Quilting/Tying
24-36 hours (this is quilting these layers together, or securing them by tying with yarn)
Binding
10-12 hours (finishing the edges, ironing, squaring up, etc)
Labeling/Quality Assurance
1-2 hours (getting the label on the quilt, checking for inconsistencies, checking the entire quilt for quality)

(I just added up the cost of making a twin. If I charged $10/hr for my labor, a twin quilt on the low end of the labor scale and materials would cost $950!!! I charge $100! They're getting one heck of a good deal!)