Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 02-15-2015, 05:49 AM

That is waaaaay cool looking dhanke, love the name too. Great Job!!!
Old 02-15-2015, 05:59 AM

Coopah: Great finish! It also seems to be defying gravity, so it must be magic.

D: Love your modified borders and sashing. The way the colors line up with the colors in the block add a lot of interest.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
Just think, next week ths time, we'll all be scrambling around to make our new quilts.
everyone, pack up those scraps and the machine, get ready to meet here next week to board the next train ride.
oh boy!!! I really need to get my machines into the 'spa' but maybe they can wait a bit longer. Hmmm, worse case I will at least have my clues cut & ready to sew when the babies return home.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:08 AM

I am soooo glad we don't have to vote on a favorite quilt from the ride. Each new quilt I see I just drool over. The Jewel with a twist of lime is outstanding!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:58 AM

One week from yesterday. Oh cant wait Judy. O by the way ,I am still getting blocks. I think I have enough for 2 tops now.I have a friend that comes to help me keep my house clean,she walks in saying let me see the new blocks you got today.!!! lol She is almost as excited as I am.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:46 AM

Lawsonmugs, Thanks for the reply. I will try it; love the look and colors.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:00 AM

Glad you booked a BIG train for #9 MQ. from the response here - it is gonna be full. And filled with good food/drink again ! thx in advance for another fun ride..... we all appreciate the time and effort it takes to put this on for us.... My hat is off to you (cause I KNOW how busy you are!!) Kennie

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
jillmc and tron, I was shown how to do this at a seminar I went to, she gave a really quick demo on doing it and I went home and worked it out. But dee, thanks for posting the youtube video - I didn't check it out but the title sounds like what I do. And yes, it is sooooo much easier than wrestling all that fabric in your domestic machine.

And now, are we ready? One week from today, the train leaves the station for another fun ride.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by dee1245 View Post
I found it on Youtube.com, it is called "Quilt As You Go with No Sashing Part 1". I believe there are 4 parts, if I remember correctly. It will show on the right side of the screen more titles. If it is not showing, just type in the search area of you tube and change the part number. The lady, her name is Candy, that filmed this video series is a little boring, but it showed how to add the panels and I just went from there. There are several qayg videos but I found this to be the best for me. I have posted the pictures here on QB but I don't know how to find them.
Thanks Dee1245, That was very helpful. It was slightly different than what I was going to try and easier, I think. The first section is long (and repetitious) but the last three go faster. I wasn't aware of sticky batting. Has anyone used it and found it better than regular batting?
Old 02-15-2015, 08:48 AM

dhanke, love the twist you gave to Twist of Lime, and love its name.

Thanks, Born2, and there will be plenty of room on the next rain. In fact, the station master promised to have an extra car waiting on a side rail in case there are late-arriving passengers. So, Kennie, where are you now on your journey? Kennie and DH are RVing it until I think she said late summer or early fall. I met her in Phoenix when they were here in late January.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
I wasn't aware of sticky batting. Has anyone used it and found it better than regular batting?
Never heard of sticky batting but tried the iron-on Hobbs batting and didn't like it, was faster and easier to pin the quilt. Anyone else know about sticky? But my charity group uses spray washable adhesive and that works wonderful. Don't rmeember the brand, but it isn't the stuff from Joann -- that I don't like at all. Needs too much to get it all to stick together.