Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your biggest waste of money? >

What was your biggest waste of money?

What was your biggest waste of money?

Old 02-14-2015, 10:02 PM

The small cutting mat that rotates. What a waste of money. Just had to have it, used it one time and found it just wasn't made for me.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:13 AM

That big square ruler with the slits in it, it's still in its package and I don't remember how to use it or what it is for.

Anything that has a video about how to use it. If it needs that, its too complicated for me.

All of those little motoring tools, little funny shaped rulers that have special uses.

The pinking and wavy edge blades for rotary cutters.

If I ever get tempted by a notion, especially an expensive thing, I will look at this thread.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:38 AM

lorli - I love my June Taylor Shape Cut Plus Ruler (big square ruler with slits)! I use it all the time! It is used to cut almost any size strips from your fabric. A lot of quilts use 2", 2 1/2" or larger fabric strips.

Here is a video on how to use this ruler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETsJf2nNQE
Old 02-15-2015, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
lorli - I love my June Taylor Shape Cut Plus Ruler (big square ruler with slits)! I use it all the time! It is used to cut almost any size strips from your fabric. A lot of quilts use 2", 2 1/2" or larger fabric strips.

Here is a video on how to use this ruler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETsJf2nNQE
lorli I totally agree with JeanieG I really like my June Tailor Shape Cut Plus Ruler. I did use some Christmas money and buy the Creative Grids Strip Cut Ruler, much the same as the June Tailor however the plastic is much sturdier/thicker than the June Tailor. I like both.

People who have had issues with the June Tailor having the slots move and then they didn't get straight cuts, I learned again on this board if you take your 24" long ruler and lay along the slot it keeps the thinner plastic of the June Tailor being moved and keeps it in alignment.

I don't find watching videos a sign that a tool is too complicated at all and I for one am so thankful for all the videos that demonstrate the proper use of the tools I use. At my age I admit to being forgetful and those videos keep me in tune :0) Another reason I'm a BIG FAN of Creative Grids as they, I think, have a video for every one of their tools.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by panderz View Post
I have literally read every comment for 19 pages. I LOVE this thread. So many of the things people have talked about are things I have never heard of so it was nice to learn more about the options out there. Some of the things I had heard of and thought about purchasing but now might put off on. If someone more experienced hasn't used them then I probably won't either.
Can't wait to try out the all the different ruler. Although I think I will try and just buy the clear ones. I have been doing lots of research for the rotary cutters. I know I need one but don't want to spend the money on one that isn't worth it. any brand suggestions are welcome! I already have a matt but will probably buy another one as this one is dark grey and orange and hard to see.

<3Mandi<3

Hello Mandi ~ I have always used Olfa. I have 45mm and 60mm for more layers of fabric. I use both for different cutting. I would IMHO only invest in a rotary cutter with a automatically covered blade. I have the one that it is necessary to push the cover over the blade manually. I never had an issue and it was definitely a concerted habit I developed to remember to push the protector over the blade. I've always had a fearful respect for the rotary cutter so I always remembered to push the protector over the blade.

Then I won the Olfa 9654 Rotary 45mm Ergonomic rotary cutter during Quilt Week, this is the one that the blade cover automatically covers the blade when you let go of the handle. I love this cutter and 100% recommend it.

Now with that being said, should you like to 'try' the Olfa 60mm I have one (Non ergonomic) that I would send to you, it's the one that doesn't cover automatically....which again isn't a problem you just MUST always remember to cover the blade after EVERY CUT.

Mandi, always have a respectful fear of a rotary cutter...that's different than being fearful it's just remembering always that it is a wonderful tool but can be dangerous when we become complacent in using it. I may even have the smaller one too that I would send to you. Just send me a private email and they are yours for the asking, as they are collecting dust on my cutting table.

By the way I love your signature...must mean you're a sweetheart :0)

Last edited by onaemtnest; 02-15-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

I love trying new sewing tools, notions, and gadgets. I don't mind if some are not so useful or I never use them after the first time. At least I know what it does or does not do. I've noticed the guild members who won't try anything new or say don't buy that, it's a waste of money are the women I don't find fun to be around and especially are drags when we all go on shop hops or visit a new quilt shop.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:17 PM

Brother Scan N Cut.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by panderz View Post
I have literally read every comment for 19 pages. I LOVE this thread. So many of the things people have talked about are things I have never heard of so it was nice to learn more about the options out there. Some of the things I had heard of and thought about purchasing but now might put off on. If someone more experienced hasn't used them then I probably won't either.
Can't wait to try out the all the different ruler. Although I think I will try and just buy the clear ones. I have been doing lots of research for the rotary cutters. I know I need one but don't want to spend the money on one that isn't worth it. any brand suggestions are welcome! I already have a matt but will probably buy another one as this one is dark grey and orange and hard to see.

<3Mandi<3
Probably most everyone here would agree that the Creative Grid rulers are their favorite. Some of the newer ones have some black dots on them that sometimes get in the way but there aren't any others that I like much. I learned somewhere along the line that it is best to use just one brand of ruler. I guess there can be a slight difference in the measurements if you are switching back and forth.
I also heard you should use the same brand rotary cutter and mat. I don't know how much it matters but mine do match. I guess I do find my cutter doesn't work as well when I go to a retreat and they have other mats. Mine are Olfa.
I did like my June Tailer shape cut ruler until a friend used it and accidentally widened the slits. I would love to try the Creative Grids one. I bet it is pricey!
Old 02-15-2015, 10:54 PM

Onalee- Love your name btw. I think I will need one with a automatic cover because knowing myself I will forget to put the cover on and because I don't have a dedicated sewing room I will be using my dining room table. I just wanted to know which brand was the best because there are so many out there. I have heard good things about the Olfa so I think I will look into those.

Pam H- I am so excited to start buying rulers. Good thing to know that it is better when they match with the mats and cutters. I am intrigued to know about these June Tailer rulers. Lots of people have talked about them. I'm trying to convince my husband that we need to go to a quilt show soon. My grandma was just in Portland and found a Fabric Store that is 1 1/2 acres with over 11,000 quilt fabrics so we are round tripping soon to check it out and get my stash started.

Thank you so much ladies! I so appreciate all the input!

<3Mandi<3
Old 02-16-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by qwkslver View Post
Brother Scan N Cut.
Just got one of these as a gift and busy prepping to use it. What don't you like about it?