Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Copyright Perplexities >

Copyright Perplexities

Copyright Perplexities

Old 02-16-2015, 09:14 AM

I rarely use a purchased pattern. There are so many freebies on line. I can use them as they are or change them as I please without worries. Quite often it is the fabric colors or prints that make the quilts unique !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Administrator

copyright law applies equally to free patterns.

again, i encourage everyone to just do some research.
you will be surprised by how simple it is to apply most of it.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:30 AM

I also am staying away from purchased patterns since there is so much hassle over copyright stuff.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:48 AM

I am actually getting into designing quilt patterns to sell. I fully intend to put wording in there to the effect that the pattern itself may not be copied and sold or given away/distributed without my express permission. However, any quilts that result from using the pattern belong to the quilter and they can do whatever they wish with them.
Some things are just getting a bit ridiculous in this world.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:25 AM

On copyright issue, most of my quilts are based on either pictures I have seen, or from Block Base. Many of the quilts have been around for a long time, and many have more than one name. Does that mean I would have to obtain permission from EACH person who ever made that quilt, for fear of infringing on copyright/ Whenever possible, my quilt label says "'''adapted from (pattern name)" and include as much information as I can. While I truly do think an artist deserves to be paid for work done, I feel they give up copyright when they provide the pattern for sale. Be realistic; if the 'original' artist had to give permission to each person who wants to make that particular pattern, he/she would be so busy answering requests for permission, they would never have time to design another thing, so there would be no income for the artist, anyway.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:39 AM

I have often shake my head at things that are "copyrighted." If what they are suggesting is true, you wouldn't be able to buy a pattern to give as a gift to a quilting friend.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

shoot, i've even had trouble getting a copy shop to make copies of templates out of a magazine when it definitely says make 50 copies!!!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:52 AM

The US Copyright office updated their compendium in December 2014. I think this paragraph may apply to the question raised here.

920.1 Patterns for Making ArticlesThe drawings and text in a pattern book may be copyrightable, if they are sufficientlyoriginal. This may include textual instructions, technical diagrams that demonstratecutting, stitching, weaving, or other techniques required by the pattern, as well asillustrations of the completed items.A registration for a pattern book generally does not extend to individual pattern piecesthat may be used to create a useful article, such as shapes that may be traced and usedto make a sleeve for a dress, because they have an intrinsic utilitarian function. Nor doesthe registration extend to any useful article that may be created with the pattern, suchas an item of clothing. For a general discussion of useful articles, see Section 924.
I believe most quilts are accounted to be useful article, excluded from copyright protection.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
If that article is really correct, then I think the laws need to be changed. I do think it's ridiculous, that someone should have to request permission to share a photo of a quilt they've made from a pattern they've purchased. I think the crux of the matter, where quilting is concerned, is that very little is original. This woman's Magic Tiles quilt (I've not seen it) is probably not original. From whom did she get permission to produce and sell the pattern? With whom did she share her profits?

I believe, once a pattern is sold, that should be the end of it, as far as end product is concerned. The designer has received her monetary due; there should be no further claim on the purchaser who uses the pattern to make a quilt for personal use -- whether to give, or to sell, or to display. If a designer wants to keep such control over her design, then don't produce a pattern and sell it! She is trying to have it both ways. She wants to profit from her design by making it available for purchase, and she also wants to keep exclusive control over it. It's just absurd when you consider the implications in practical terms. Hopefully copyright law will evolve so that it makes more practical sense.
I agree if I purchased the pattern and spent the hours putting the work into it and note the pattern in a show I don't think the pattern designer should get award money as they got their money in selling their pattern, isn't putting in a show to showcase my piecing skills personal use. I am not selling it or claiming the pattern as mine, and it is readily made for anyone to purchase I think it is absurd as well
Old 02-16-2015, 11:16 AM

I'm putting 'Magic Tiles' on a 'Not to Buy or Make' list. I have no desire to make a pattern designed by someone who fancies they have some proprietary hold on the quilts, or images of quilts, made from a pattern they willingly marketed and sold for profit. I really find the attitude affronting and ridiculous. Puffupery in the highest degree.