Eating in the fifties

Old 02-19-2015, 10:14 AM

I was a Big City kid born in the late 50's, everything came from the grocery store, but remember having the same thing every Monday because of Scouts. ( Have 4 brothers ) Spaghetti from a box!, Friday at least twice a month was Pizza night, from a box also. We were treated on holidays to home made Macaroni and cheese. I still make it for my husband at least 4 times a year. Soo good but not low fat!!!! Breakfast was cereal every morning either hot or cold. I still eat cereal but can't do instant oats or cream of wheat, the regular cooking variety is great in the microwave. And waffles and pancakes were still dinner choices on Sunday. I don't remember when we started calling those things Breakfast dinner we very seldom had them for breakfast. Since then I have added biscuits and gravy with eggs to Breakfast dinner. Fondest memory was walking three blocks to Morrie's corner store with a quarter and getting a big bag of candy, he had the glass front displays and you could tell them how many of each thing you wanted. Wrote on the bag with a pencil what the total cost was so our moms could see what we spent. And rice was desert, milk sugar and cinnamon!
Old 02-19-2015, 01:19 PM

Oh yes, such fond memories whirling through my head right now. Being from Louisiana, we ate rice instead of potatoes most meals (so I do love a plate of rice and brown gravy with my roast beef); and getting accustomed to the many different customs in eating as we traveled all over the US (military husband); I've learned a lot, but I still love the things we enjoyed when I was a kid growing up in rural LA--no town of any size for 40-60 miles; just the grocery truck on Wednesdays, an occasional traveling salesman for new furniture or kitchen appliances; the ice truck on Saturdays; and I do remember the cube of sugar with the pink polio medicine on it at school. We also got all our immunizations at school--parents' consent or not. And oh yes, no freeways--in fact no paved roads--just two-track dirt roads or gravel roads.

Yes, quite a memory trip on this post. Thanks, whoever started it.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:22 PM

Ditter, I love you & your memories, made me think of how often my mother would thicken a drained can of green peas with corn starch and we would eat it on toast for supper. I still have the little green coupon books we had to use when grocery shopping, the government gave every body to use. Did tell you how old I am? Older than the hills.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
Me too.
Me, three.

And rice was a staple at our house because it was cheap!
Old 02-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

You know I only remember about one person over weight back then...
Old 02-19-2015, 06:37 PM

Nice walk down memory lane. Life was much simpler during the fifties. Only two things to worry about when buying groceries - can we afford it? And do we like it? We also had fewer choices. I was grown before I tasted broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower or many other veggies I love today. If you didn't have a garden those veggies just were not available. Pizza I discovered after I was grown also. We did not eat rice or noodles or fish growing up because my dad didn't like them. A lot of our food was fried..... Okay, now I am hungry....on my way to the kitchen for a bedtime snack! Lol!