Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about needle changing >

Question about needle changing

Question about needle changing

Old 02-20-2015, 07:03 AM

When I piece on my Janome, I only change the needle when I hear a popping sound or it breaks. However, on my Gammill longarm, I change the needle with every quilt.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I go by sound.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I buy Organ titanium needles and they seem to last forever!
These are my favorite! However, I also clean and oil my machine, change the needle and fill the bobbin after every major project. I don't want to wait for something bad to happen, I just want to sew.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:32 AM

I'm another one who goes by sound. It's rare for me to use the same needle for eight hours without changing to Microtex, Metallic etc so rely on the change in sound. I've also started paper piecing quite a bit so my needles do seem to wear down quicker. Haven't decided on whether my Titanium ones have lasted longer or not.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
When I piece on my Janome, I only change the needle when I hear a popping sound or it breaks. However, on my Gammill longarm, I change the needle with every quilt.
Same here. Different machines... Bernina/Innova And I do not change the needle on the Innova if the first quilt was a small, like crib, lap or Wall hanging. then I will either leave it in for a bedsize quilt or do several smalls before changing. I will also change mid quilt if the innova also starts making the popping sound. It is a pretty easy sound to hear and quite distinctive. Edited to add, I will also change needles for thread types as I change threads. But in these cases if the first needle is still good, I will put it back in the case to switch back to when I go back to the kind of thread that uses that needle size.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-20-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:01 AM

I only change my needles when:

1-they break

2-change when I switch to thicker/thinner fabrics from what I've been working with

3-when I'm getting ready to FMQ, I switch to a 14 quilting needle, usually I use a 12 when just sewing. When I'm done with FM, I put the same needle back in that I was using before I changed to the 14.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 AM

The needle on my Featherweight is changed every Saturday when I service the machine. I change the needle on my Bernina with each new project. Needless to say, I use lots of needles.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I only change my needles when:

1-they break

2-change when I switch to thicker/thinner fabrics from what I've been working with

3-when I'm getting ready to FMQ, I switch to a 14 quilting needle, usually I use a 12 when just sewing. When I'm done with FM, I put the same needle back in that I was using before I changed to the 14.
I am with you. I am bad about changing needles. Really good at cleaning and oiling.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I buy Organ titanium needles and they seem to last forever! I have pieced about 6 quilts and quilted at least 4 quilts on the needle I am using now. Not sure how many hours that is, but at least 50. I am starting to notice the popping sound when the needle hits the fabric and was just thinking earlier today I should probably change the needle on my Juki and the blades on my rotary cutter.
Well it seems that these needles get a good review so I might try them. Right now mine isn't making any strange noise so I think I will just wait and change it before I start FMQ my 3 tops. I only have about 4 or 5 hours on this needle and it's the one that came with the machine.

Thank you everyone for all your help!

<3 Mandi <3
Old 02-21-2015, 03:16 AM

If you hear the popping sound as you sew, it is already a little late to change the needle. Titanium needles last a bit longer than average needles. I generally change them when I am oiling or cleaning (depending on the type of machine). That is about eight to twelve hours of sewing.