Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Ring block - I don't really want to do this! >

Wedding Ring block - I don't really want to do this!

Wedding Ring block - I don't really want to do this!

Old 02-22-2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
In my small group it is ok not to do what everyone else is doing.
We actually have a RULE about this! Rule #2: you NEVER have to do a group project-no matter what the reason. No questions asked! (Rule # 1- call if you are planning to come and life gets in the way. We worry! end of rules...hehehe)
Old 02-22-2015, 06:45 AM

I would agree with Pennyhal....just go and spend time with your friends. Bring something small to work on and have fun.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
Thanks for your suggestions! I will take fabric and get it cut - I like the idea of a "friendship trivet!" Then I can do some straight line quilting on one of my Linus quilts but mostly just chat and watch everyone to see how to sew the curves. I can always borrow the Accuquilt die later when my hand gets better. Such good friends you are!!
I had hand surgery ( open Carpel tunnel) nearly three weeks ago and sewing is tricky but my sewing group have been fabulous. I just took along a quilt to be marked whilst they sewed. It's still painful sometimes with no strength yet. I'm going to have to try and sew soon I'm going looney tunes not doing any lol
Old 02-22-2015, 05:23 PM

Volunteer to be the "presser". Everyone appreciates it so they can keep on stitching.We have one lady in our group who does not quilt but comes to all of our stitching afternoons and presses for those who stitch. Works well for everybody.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:03 PM

I went and had the fabric cut on the Accuquilt but didn't sew any, which saved my hands. And it turned out that one of the other quilters didn't want to do it so she just came in and chatted for a while. Everyone was fine with it. I was overthinking things, as usual!
Old 02-23-2015, 05:29 AM

If your hand still hurts, it is still healing. Give yourself a break. Take something to do that will not hurt your hand, but will still let you enjoy time with your friends. If they are true friends they will understand.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:41 AM

I agree with Jan.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:10 AM

I would blame it on your hand and bring a simple project to work in. Good friends will understand. Listen and learn and later, when you have the yen, you can do the double wedding ring with their help.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
My friendship group is meeting tomorrow and will be working on the Wedding Ring block. We have the Accuquilt die so cutting will be easy, but I'm concerned about doing it.

First - I had hand surgery about 7 weeks ago and my hand still hurts quite a bit, especially when I do small, tight movements (like typing!). I think this is going to be pretty difficult for me to do.

Second - I have so many projects going, I hate to start another one, especially a difficult one. I have a wedding quilt due by early June and some Linus quilts going, plus the big one for my son...and so on.

Third - I don't really know what fabric to use. I feel as though if I were going to make this I'd like to make at least a throw size, although we would probably only get one or two blocks done tomorrow.

On the other hand, I don't want to disappoint my friends. They like to all work on the same thing since we only get together once a month.

So, do I suck it up for 3 hours? I have plenty of fat quarters I could take. Or, do I take an easy project and blame it all on my hand? Please help me decide! Thank you!

I am sure that you do not want to do anything that will jeopardize your healing progress.....SO DON'T! Do what makes YOU feel comfortable. You are quilting for you, not for your friends' approval. If they are your friends, they will surely understand.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:00 AM

I'm glad you went & had fun with your friends. That is what is important!