Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Aids From Funny Sources >

Quilting Aids From Funny Sources

Quilting Aids From Funny Sources

Old 02-21-2015, 01:59 PM

When cleaning out my father's stash of everything under the sun, I came across some t.v. trays made of fiberglass with pressed flowers. I removed the snap-on leg sections. Now, I have four large trays to use in my sewing area. These stack nicely, but the nicest thing about them is remembering my mother using them during the fifties. Even though decades have passed since we lost her, I am sentimental.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I am a sucker for vintage planters, vases, refridgerator dishes, etc. I am always picking them up at flea markets, especially those with figures on them. I always try to find a use for them around the house so they won't just be dust collectors. Many have been put to use holding my quilting gadgets. They sit all around my sewing machine. The last one in the photo shows my vintage "girl" planter, which holds our sweet n' low packets in the kitchen!
I love the Duck the vase & most of all the girl, great finds!
Jeri
Old 02-21-2015, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
I use a straight sided pint jar to hold large cones of thread behind my machine, large coffee cup for pens, pencils, point turners, etc, large plastic trays for all kinds of stuff near my machine, empty Swiffer boxes for small projects, large pizza boxes for finished blocks, large cardboard apple boxes for storage, metal candy/cookie boxes for buttons and small items,
large baskets from Christmas fruit and food gifts for storage, etc. Don't throw anything away until it is looked over for other uses.
Thanks so much for the swiffer container idea, when use us the 2 full ones have I will be saving them, also I have been looking for a plastic storage box with lid to fit currant 12"-15" blocks I'm making you just reminded me of DH & I's Friday date night at our favorite Pizza place (brain fart) The would give me boxes for sure, we feel like the show "Cheers" when we walk in there, the cooks already start our pizza. Next Friday I'll have some Pizza Boxes big enough!
Jeri
Old 02-21-2015, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
I use the small flushable wipe square containers to organize my drawers. clipped together with binder clips.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511003[/ATTACH]
Excellent idea TYVM!
Jeri
Old 02-21-2015, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by wilburness View Post
At the dollar store (at least mine does) have 2.5 gallon zip bags. I use them to put projects in that I am working on. or separate materials into color schemes. when done....I recycle them to my next project. sorry to say I have too many projects going and had to buy more. ooops
I use pill bottles for old needles like everyone. but my extra, I take to the sporting goods shop and they use them when the fisherman buy flies. this way they do not smash in a bag
I can not for the life of me ever find the 2 1/2 gallon bags no matter where I look, they would sure come in handy but I won't pay the price on amazon for them
Jeri
Old 02-21-2015, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by mengler View Post
If you are flying and have some hand sewing you can put a bobbin in an empty floss container. Then you don't need scissors and the thread won't runaway. I was bingeing on yo-yos once and knocked out hundreds on a plane trip.
I knew there had to be a way of using those empty floss containers! I save almost everything. I put bent pins in old plastic film containers and empty tic tac containers. I recently found and bought 4 of the Velveeta plastic cheese boxes at the Goodwill for $1.00 each. They hold my small fabric squares and they have lids. These boxes were a promotional item a couple of years ago. They were supposed to be used to put your opened Velveeta in. I usually use the whole loaf of cheese when making dip. I just wanted the container. haha
Old 02-22-2015, 01:22 PM

I have an off to the side cone holder, inherited it from my mom. I have the pin, but I cannot get it to fit in the hole. So, I use a small bud vase, with a short screwdriver handle down, I put the cone on the screwdriver blade. The blade is short, doesn't come out the other end of the thread. I had tried to use a small coffee mug, but the spool acted crazy. The mug was still sitting there, and I started tossing my empty bobbins in it. Much easier than getting out the bobbin box, which is too full for all my empties anyway. Then, when I was starting a project and filling bobbins, I just fished them out of the mug.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I am a sucker for vintage planters, vases, refridgerator dishes, etc. I am always picking them up at flea markets, especially those with figures on them. I always try to find a use for them around the house so they won't just be dust collectors. Many have been put to use holding my quilting gadgets. They sit all around my sewing machine. The last one in the photo shows my vintage "girl" planter, which holds our sweet n' low packets in the kitchen!
Love , love , love your vintage containers.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:19 PM

I use golf tees to hold spools of thread and their matching bobbins together. I also use the tall Crystal Light containers to store my rotary cutters in. I use a fly fishing spool holder to hold my thread spools (pretty wooden holder, so I can keep it out). I also use "baby" pony tail holders to keep bobbins from unraveling. A no-brainer here: using an 8 oz (travel size) spray bottle for starch or water when ironing. I use a decorative round, tall tin for thread snips and fabric bits next to my machine (Dollar Store find).
Old 02-22-2015, 06:29 PM

I have several clear plastic peanut jars that I use for storage in my sewing room. One for buttons, one for zippers, one for Velcro, one for my vacuum kit, one for machine needles (which I have a bunch of that I bought at an estate sale last summer). My husband loves peanuts so by the next time he emptys one, I'll have something else to store in it. Reuse, reclaim, recycle!