Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your personal quality standards? >

what are your personal quality standards?

what are your personal quality standards?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by blahel
i have to admit that i would like to make perfect quilts but I know in reality that will never happen so I suppose I am a cozy quilter too! have you ever thought that us cozy quilters have to exist to make the perfect quilters look perfect! Thats my excuse anyway and i am sticking to it!
clever way of looking at it, blahel!:XD:
Old 01-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltease
I'm one of those "perfect quilters" and let me tell you, I am just about ready to throw this whole obsession out the window. I see every flaw, no matter how small. But reading what you all have said. Hmmm. I'm not out to win a ribbon. My standards are set by me, so I can change them. I really need to thank all of you. I want to put the fun back into quilting, and I'm starting today. It'll take some time, but I'm hiding my seam ripper. And taking off my glasses. Maybe that way I can relax and just create.
I have one top waiting for me to finish. It's been draped over the frame for almost two years. I tried applique using steam a seam and some of the edges frayed when I blanket stitched them. So why finish? Why? Because it's one of the prettiest top I ever made. My own pattern. Will I finish it now? More likely than before reading what you've all said. I hope so. I'd love to see it on the wall someday. I'll stop rambling now.
Cozy quilter, yeah, I like that.
bev. :]
It has taken me a lot time to learn techniques bc I would get sidetracked if it wasn't coming out perfect.
I have a quilt that I started last year for one of my grandbabies, and haven't touched it for months, bc of some goofs that I tried to 'fix', by covering with a coordinating ribbon.
The ribbon was a good choice as far as colors go, and goes nicely with the blocks, but is a tad too wide, so I just came to a screeching halt, and everytime I think about getting back to this project, I think, ok if that ribbon is the hold up, why not take it off? I am known to do that sort of self torturing thing...but you know what?
She is six years old and it has princesses on it, and so I cut off many points. I was learning. I have come a ways since then, so I am going to leave the ribbon on and finish it so she can enjoy it while she still likes Cinderella!
yes, we overlook or don't even notice other ppl's boo boo's, and beat our selves up silly, over our own.
yup, Amma's got a good rule of thumb...back up to a 'normal' distance and if it's not glowing like Rudolph's nose...:-D
Old 01-08-2010, 01:52 PM

I made an Elvis quilt for my friend too. She hung it on the
wall in her bedroom. Doesn't want the cat or dogs on it.
I meant for her to use it but I guess she is using it in her own
way. I know she loved it. She did wrap herself up in it on
Christmas when she opened it. LOL
Catlady
Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Catlady
I made an Elvis quilt for my friend too. She hung it on the
wall in her bedroom. Doesn't want the cat or dogs on it.
I meant for her to use it but I guess she is using it in her own
way. I know she loved it. She did wrap herself up in it on
Christmas when she opened it. LOL
Catlady
I agree, sounds like she loves it.
I love my dog, but she smells like a...a dog!
"you ain't nuttin but a hound dog...owooo!":wink:
Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM
dsj

We shouldn't be so hard on ourselves, I am one to talk, but I am sure there really is no such thing as the quilt police. I always spot my errors and hope that no one else notices them but I do have one friend who always does and always comments too, and then I have to justify my error. That is just wrong isn't it?
Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by dsj
We shouldn't be so hard on ourselves, I am one to talk, but I am sure there really is no such thing as the quilt police. I always spot my errors and hope that no one else notices them but I do have one friend who always does and always comments too, and then I have to justify my error. That is just wrong isn't it?
That is soooo wrong of her. I wouldn't give any more quilts.
Give her a book on quilting instead and let her try it out
herself. That should shut her up.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by dsj
Hello dsj, yes, some of us are too critical of ourselves because of that one "So called friend or relative."

Back to the topic. Like others, I'm my own worse critic. If I know there's a mistake, I can't sleep until I get back up & work on that wonky block, corner, or triangle that's not coming out right. I can't live without knowing the correct way. Once I figure it out, I'm OK, even if it's off a tad. LOL.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dsj
yes, that is just wrong, and when you stop justifying things to your friend, she/he will learn to stop calling you on your mistakes.
If not, it's time to get a new friend:wink:
(in the meantime, make sure you are not teaching them, that it doesn't bother you.)
Old 01-08-2010, 04:49 PM

my standard when i find an error is "will it irritate me every time i look @ the quilt?", if so fix it, if not it's ok cozy quilter is the best description i've heard for myself !
Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 PM

To DSJ from Tennessee:
I agree that we should not be so hard on ourselves.
I have a quilting acquaintance that critiques everything to the last stitch. It hurt my feelings for a while and then I realized that I have known her as part of our quilt group for over 3 years and she has never finished a single project because she is so picky.
Now, my standard reply is, "I love it the way it is and wouldn't change a stitch."
I feel good about what I do and especially when it is completed, however close to 'perfect' it is or isn't.
Keep on sewing girl, I know you are doing a great job!