Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you could have any iron which would it be?? >

If you could have any iron which would it be??

If you could have any iron which would it be??

Old 02-20-2015, 02:33 PM

I just want one that will last as long as my 25 year old Proctor Silex that's ready to bite the dust. I don't want steam, or auto-shut off, bells, whistles or any other thing that's break-downable, leakable or head-acheable, just a nice, hot, flat-plated iron that gets the fabric smooth and flat - is that asking too much?
Old 02-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Question about thrift store irons. I go to a lot of thrift stores and garage sales and always look at the irons. All of them have scratched up sole plates. Do you get these and does that interfere with their functionality?
Old 02-21-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by just joan View Post
I have a GE travel iron that I got from a theft store.
OMG!!! That has to be the funniest typo I've seen this year!!!
Old 02-23-2015, 05:10 PM

If price was not an issue I would definitely pick the laurastar system with an integrated board & boiler. So much steam! One pass thru batiks makes the set in creases disappear. Amazing product
Old 02-23-2015, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
OMG!!! That has to be the funniest typo I've seen this year!!!
I lost it at that too!

The steam iron I use is a Black and Decker, probably about 12 years old now. Seems fine, heats up fast, apparently has auto-off but I don't trust auto-offs.

My smooth sole plate iron is a General Mills from c. late 1940's that I picked up an estate sale for about $8. That thing will get HOT. Has worked pretty well so far, I use it with Best Press. But yes need to be very careful with those as they use more electricity and definitely no auto shut-off. Apparently though there is a steam attachment that can be gotten for them.

I believe I read that much stricter limits on electricity use has made a lot people notice their irons don't get as hot. Legally, nothing that can be done there.

I really do like the features of the Olisos, and would love a cordless one. If only the General Mills one could go cordless!
Old 02-24-2015, 09:01 AM

I'm interested in what everyone else likes too. My 21 year old Black & Decker is my old faithful and I'll be a basket case when it decides to kick the bucket... Just thinking ahead...
Old 02-24-2015, 11:16 AM

I confess i have not read all the posts - so sorry if i am repeating....

but if i could have ANY iron i wanted, it would be one with a person attached to do the ironing. I HATE ironing !!!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:09 PM

I love my yellow Olisio TG1600 iron. Never had a problem. I can chose dry or steam, it stays on for 30 minutes, really long swivel cord, stays hot, no leaks. LOVE IT - got it at a low price thru Mass Drop.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:39 PM

When I picked out an iron I took my son who liked gizmos and after watching him use press every button and tell me he liked the one with all the buttons I purchased one with the least amount of buttons. I suppose there are some wonderful irons on the market but I find any iron seems to do the job fine for me.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
i could have ANY iron i wanted, it would be one with a person attached to do the ironing.
Lol!

I once told my husband, after a long and frustrating day, that I needed my own wife. He got a giant grin on his face and I snapped "No, we're NOT sharing!"