Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting group >

Quilting group

Quilting group

Old 02-24-2015, 10:03 PM
Power Poster

One can hand- piece a quilt. The first class I took - we made a six-block sampler- templates and all. I did learn a lot.and I had been sewing garments for years.so one could do it the old-fashioned way .
Old 02-25-2015, 04:33 AM

Your story is very familiar. We started a quilting group and have "never nevers" (never even owned a sewing machine) to very experienced quilters. Fortunately a few if the newbies took it upon themselves to take a few basic classes at the LQS and they are progressing with their skills. The experienced quilters offer help and advice along the way. It is so important that newbies take a basic class so they understand what quilting is all about. Two should not do all the sewing, quilting etc. I agree give them a list of needs/supplies and help as needed. You will weed out the non quilters soon enough. Good luck
Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 AM

My mother and aunts and friends would get together and hand quilt a whole clothe quilt. It wasn't an outstanding design and the quilting was more like big stitch quilting but they enjoyed getting together.

I am now in a wonderful quilting ministry through my church. It is a group of about 20 women and we meet once to twice a month, averaging about 10-12 coming each time. We make about 15 quilts a year, which are given to sick of the parish or those in need outside of the parish. We make the quilt tops and two of the girls have long arms and quilt them. The leader chooses easy piecing patterns (that look intricate) and one person does all the cutting at the meeting. Everybody does something different. Some people pin, some machine piece, some iron, some rip, some hand sew bindings on. There are various levels of sewers/ quilters. Some have no experience (but are learning) and are the ironiers or lay out the blocks and others just sew. It works for us. We also make small items to sell at a craft show which gives us money for fabric and quilting tools. Over the years, the leader has picked up used sewing machines on Craigslist or at garage sales and we do have a locked closet with shelling at the church for all our supplies. I do feel badly for the two long armers but they don't seem to mind.

Schoolteacher, someone has to take the lead. It's like that always. I'd say pick an easy pattern and go with it. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:17 AM

I have taught 4-H quilting to 9-16 yr olds for a few years. We start out simple with a finished 12" block that is made of 2-4patches and 2 6" blocks. They learn to sandwich and quilt by machine and put on a binding sewn to the back by hand. Cannot imagine, as so many people have said, starting with a 9-patch quilt!! So I agree with everyone who said that you need to find out who wants to learn to piece and quilt by giving them a list of supplies to buy first, explaining in a nice way that you are interested in teaching them how but not doing the work for them. And that maybe they are wanting to form a different kind of group than a quilting one.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
If they are joining a 'quilting group' then it would seem logical that they be expected to learn how to quilt which includes, but is not limited to, selecting fabric and pattern, cutting fabric, piecing, basting, quilting and binding. If they don't want to learn these things then I would question their reasons for joining or forming a quilting group. Yes, some people excel in certain areas and that is what they may want to focus on, but to expect 2 members of the group to do all the work except the hand quilting sounds somewhat off to me.
They could always quilt a whole cloth if they only want to do the quilting!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:13 AM

These people need to start at the beginning and learn the steps. They cannot rely on you two for all the sewing. Maybe you need to join a real quilting group where everyone works on their own projects.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:33 AM

It's fine that they want to socialize and have a place to go each week but for those that want to work on their own quilt or other project(s) that's not fair. In our quilt group, we quilt, embroider, knit and crochet or do any other type of craft. We help each other when someone is unfamiliar with something. It's a time to learn and share. As others have said - they need a supply list. You can be there to help them through the process. Good Luck
Old 02-26-2015, 04:43 AM

In my opinion, I would want to join a quilt group where all the members could participate in all the aspects of making a quilt. It wouldn't be fun to be in a group where a few had to do all the work.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
In my mind there are 18 people who are just looking for a reason to go somewhere, not learn a new skill......hand out a list of supplies needed and see how fast the group dwindles........
Love your idea. That should weed out the ones that really don't want to learn.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:05 AM

Perhaps a "survey" of the girls would be helpful and you could, with your questions, find out who is really serious about learning our craft and who is not serious. My beginning quilt class members make a 9-block wall hanging which teaches the basic skills. The girls do their own work from start to finish..They are able to go on by themselves when they finish the beginning class. They do their own sewing, basting, and quilting. Yes, some do not finish, but the majority of them do.