Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VP not attending meetings >

VP not attending meetings

VP not attending meetings

Old 02-28-2015, 06:34 PM

About 9 months ago, I was elected to do our guild's newsletter but I had back surgery and have had a poor recovery. My President called me and asked if some else could take over for me and I was so grateful someone stepped up for me. Everyone in my guild have been wonderful and so understanding about my situation.

I think the President should have a heart to heart talk with this lady and suggest since she is unable to attend meetings, she needs someone who is current with meetings and could fill in for the President on a short notice. That is what a VP IS for in our guild. By-laws are nice to have even for a small group so everyone knows what is protocol to follow. imho....
Old 02-28-2015, 07:10 PM

It's a little puzzling and i don't think i understand.
You mentioned that you are an officer of the guild, but you don't think there are any by-laws of the guild.....if you do not have by-laws - does the VP actually have any responsibilities??....are the responsibilities of the other officers outlined somewhere?....are there agreed codes of conduct for within the guild? If not, i guess i'm asking how is she not doing her duty if her duty is not spelled out....and how would her not being the VP but just being a member change the behavior that is objectionable within the guild??
I think if you want to have recourse for the kind behavior you're talking about, you would need to have some kind of code of conduct/behavior or by-laws for the group that everyone agrees on.
Good luck.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:00 PM

Say a prayer, treat her as you would like to be treated. Maybe she'll come around, if not, election time will come around before you know it. If she begs a post next time, gently refuse her. In this world of nastiness, we can afford some patience whether we feel someone deserves it or not.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:06 PM

Sounds to me, as if the current VP has proven that position and herself unnecessary. Since your group is small and rather informal, why not just let one of the other (regularly attending) officers fill in as acting VP, if you should be absent. Since she has so much trouble attending, she should be more than happy to have the burden lifted from her shoulders. A VP is actually supposed to help the president, not just show up uninformed, in case of an emergency.

Is it necessary to announce beforehand, when freebies will be up for grabs? Could they be gathered and held, then brought out during random meetings?
Old 02-28-2015, 11:45 PM

As its such an informal group why doesn't someone call, go and visit and have a friendly chat, find out if she is finding the duties too much, suggest that your group need a VP who can attend a more often, or as toverly suggested make sure you have a VP lined up for the next year, much better than all the talk going on behind her back.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:04 AM

I do not belong to a quilting guild but I do belong to a fire company auxiliary. I have held every office except VP for a total longer-running period than any other member of the organization in it's history (over 100 yrs). I do not say this to pat myself on the back, just as background. I do not know if quilting guilds generally are much different from other charitable organizations so if there are guild-specifics of which I am unaware, I apologize.

I agree with Jan in that your organization should have some sort of by-laws where officers' absences are addressed. I also agree with the poster who suggested having a conversation with the offending officer prior to discussion at a meeting.

In our auxiliary we have had 'personnel issues' as well. We do have by-laws addressing the above (as well as other) situation specifically but I also believe it is addressed in Robert's Rules of Order - which is our defined default if an issue is not specified in our by-laws. What we have done with a similarly inclined person (non-officer) in our organization, was to have an Executive Board meeting to discuss the issue and potential resolutions. A formal letter was then sent to the offending party, outlining the behaviors that were found to be unacceptable, and a request for a face-to-face meeting with that person and the E-board. That meeting and it's result were never discussed during an open membership meeting.

Did that meeting resolve the issue? For a short period of time. That member is still a royal pain in the butt. It did, however, leave the opening for further actions on the auxiliary's part to deal with the problem.

Just my suggestion.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:05 AM

Maybe you could start by defining the responsibilities of each office. Ask her to help defining the duties of vp. If she is capable of seeing the problem that might goose her into working or resigning.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:16 AM

Well, at least she shows up for the freebies. I would replace her. As to a Vice President "not doing anything", i guess my Guild is the exception to that observation. I depend on my partner (VP) to help me whenever I have been the President of any organization. She needs to be released and replaced. Not fair to others.

sandy
Old 03-01-2015, 04:53 AM

This happened in our guild a few years ago with the President! I think she showed up for two meetings all year (maybe only one), and the VP had to take on the role of President, which she was unprepared for. It's still a raw nerve with her. The absent President was someone who always had grand intentions and ideas with little to no follow up. She's no longer a member.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

IMHO, the officers who are dedicated need to bring up the thought of making a list of rules for the guild. Use the premiss that the guild is trying to become more organized. At the meeting, ask the members to make a list of what rules they think should apply to the guild, and then discuss them and vote on them. Then send out a list of rules to all members stating that the guild has voted on these rules. You might call all members before this meeting and this would give the VP a heads up that this is what the meeting will be about so she can attend if she wants. That would not single her out if you call all members. One rule that should be discussed is the one that all officers are expected to attend at least 1/2 or 2/3 of the meetings. Also, when you hold your election or appointment of officers, make sure that it is stated that being an officer, you will be expected to be involved with the guild and attend the meetings and money making activities X number of times.

Last edited by twinkie; 03-01-2015 at 05:03 AM.