Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need to vent! >

I need to vent!

I need to vent!

Old 01-08-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflower7
People don't realize the value of a quilt. I didn't until I started quilting myself. There is a tremendous amount of time, work, fabric...sometimes blood,sweat and tears too. All you can do is try to educate whomever you are quoting a price too. Good luck. I have never sold a quilt but I agree that your prices are too low.
I agree.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 PM

[quote=mrsj82]
Front Fabric Estimate:
$4/yd X

Batting Estimate:
$6/yd X

Backing Fabric Estimate:
$4/yd X

Where are you? I want tofind fabric as inexpensively as you do :lol:

Don't sell yourself short. What we do is worth every penny of the $ 950. That's probably why we give away our art instead of trying to get paid what it is worth. ;) It can be insulting to be offered such a low figure.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrsj82
Fabric Estimate:
$4/yd

Batting Estimate:
$6/yd

Backing Fabric Estimate:
$4/yd

Misc Supplies Estimate
Thread----$3/spool
First of all you are giving the material away, and I wish I could find fabric at $4 a yard regular priced.

Rule of thumb you charge the price of material +10%.

I would charge $10 a yard +10% for fabric

$12 to $20 +10% a yard for the batting depending on if its poly or cotton blend.

$5 a spool +10% for the thread

Then on the labor I would charge the going rate what ever that may be for your area. If its $10 hour then make sure you keep a log on how many hours it takes you to make it so you can charge accordingly. On a quilt I would bid it time plus material, but if you know it will only take you 10 hours to make the top then go ahead and charge them the $100 for labor.

I charge anywhere from $10,000 to $25,000 for a paint job depending on the amount of body work I have to do and how much custom fabrication I am doing like chopping tops and so forth.

I never discount anything for anybody and I always have a back log of folks waiting for me to work on their rides. I also never advertise its all word of mouth, I let my work do the talking for me.

What ever you do never undersell yourself!!

Billy
Old 01-09-2010, 07:31 AM

.I live in the NYC area. We are now paying from $9.50-$13.00 per yard for pure 100% cotton quilting fabric. We can't even get $4.00 fabric in Lancaster, Pa anymore. Everyone in my quild tries to take one or two bus trips a year to Lancaster to buy fabric........but there are no more great bargins there, all the good fabric is at least $8.00 (and up) a yard.
You will notice the fabric at Walmart is quite inferior. The weave is very course.......it is nothing like what you get in a quilt store.
I use to carve wooden birds and thought I'd sell them at craft fairs after I retired. The price i could get for them didn't even pay for the special blocks of wood I needed to carve them.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:38 AM

We're right with you on this subject. Most people don't understand how much time and material goes into making a quilt. I recently contracted 2 memory quilts. They supplied all the material so I just supplied my labor. One was 30x45 and was a family member so I only charged her $80 for my labor. I normally would have charged $130. The other one was a rag quilt (from mom's nightgowns), about 45x60. I quoted $20 for the batting and she paid me $170. She said she knows what goes into making these quilts. So, bottomline, don't sell yourself short. If you do, you'll feel short-changed and not enjoy the project. Don't give your talent away. Real customers are out there and if you promote yourself, they'll find you. Hope this helps. Vicki
Old 01-09-2010, 07:40 AM

Hi I don't know where they took you on the bus tour for material but I use to live near Lancaster and I was just up there the other day and I went to places that had good material for $3.99 , 4.99,5.99 .6.99 up to that price. Zook's , Weaver's,Goods, and another one but there are alot of places still in Lancaster Pa and other cities.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:10 AM

If they do not like your price state that you could show them how to do it and let them know how much time it will take for them and all the supplies they will need to purchase and cost of same and your fee for teaching. Machine, needles, scissors, thread, rotary cutter, rullers, pins, material, batting, templates and there time to come to classes or they can pay your price. Some people ask prices and then they get idea of how much to charge when they do the task. You can also tell them to contact an Amish quilt store. There quilts go for thousands. Good Luck Emily
Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Banned

After the experience I had at our LQS I wouldn't step foot in there if it was the only place to buy fabric from.

Around here you can pick up Moda, Kona, and other nice quality quilting fabrics all for under $10 a yard. Most of it is between $4.99 to $7.99 and some of the really premium fabric is almost $10 a yard. I usually catch it on the 40% off sales so its even cheaper.

If I can get myself going this morning I might go out and brave the frigid cold and run to Hancock and look around and maybe add to the stash before the ball games today.

Billy
Old 01-09-2010, 08:39 AM

We have a quilt shop here in town and they charge 12.00 a square yard to do free hand quilting. I don't think that is to bad considering that I have 3 quilts to do that have panels on them. I don't do any sewing for anyone else. I make quilts, if they want to buy fine but I won't reduce my prices. I can understand your frustration.

Native American Tribute
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64885[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-64880.jpe
Views:	117
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	64885  
Old 01-09-2010, 09:27 AM

Stick to your plan - don't give away your work unless it's a gift!