Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd! >

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:26 PM

White pine great Eagles
Old 03-04-2015, 03:09 PM

Well I have completed my sky. This may be my simplest row - but I wanted a clear, no cloudy, calm sky. I made the kites with scraps (I am really working on cleaning out my scrap boxes) and then put a backing on them. Sewed them down only through the middle spokes and added some strings.
Sorry about the sideways pic - my computer is in for repair and I am attempting to use DH!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kite.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	512432   Click image for larger version

Name:	kite2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	512433  
Old 03-04-2015, 03:21 PM

Love your kites!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:54 PM

So that's what you meant by three dimensional! LOL. I was seeing your kites with a shadowbox effect. This is really cool and great colors.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:53 PM

How big is the row robin quilt supposed to be? I must have missed reading that along the way. Are the rows a certain width and height? I'm thinking we do it whatever size we want, right? Thanks for whatever help you can give me.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:29 PM

Love your kites!
Old 03-05-2015, 05:25 AM

Those kites are cool .. what are you doing for backing?

the eagles paper pieced are amazing. I went to this one web site that had row robins but they were more like blocks with different scenes. all Alaskan type blocks and it was a drool site. lots of paper pieced things. I wish I was that good! would love to take a class in that one day. I am not great at just learning that stuff by looking. and it looks so hard! cant wait to see what you have do next.

any more ideas anyone? wondering who is doing the traditional and will show us their blocks too? I will have four rows traditional but after the center design is done. I received a whole jelly roll of blues and teals in the mail the othe day as a gift. OMG! like hello! water!!! yippee! I still need some edging for the water lapping at the storeline. any idea how to do this? thinking of having a bit of shoreline on the left and right side also but then again maybe just one side and just barely there ? help! next time I will go shopping for the sky and such this time however using what I have. price is right and well.. its hard to get out.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:25 AM

I'm still planning on jumping in - just got another project I promised to get done before Easter (a set of 12 vestments for Alter Boys for the Chapel where I work). They are based on the Native American ribbon shirt, using Batiks and lots of ribbon. The best part, I get to keep all those batik scarps - this is the white set, I've already completed the Green, Purple and Red.

I've been thinking about what I'm going to do with the "rows" and I will be doing a lot of paper piecing. I jumped in the "50 Stars" project early so I could learn how to paper piece as I'd never done it before. Along with the Affairs of the Heart group as I'd never done needle turn applique either - so now I've got all sorts of ideas to combine.

Now - if I can just find more hours in a day LOL!!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:01 AM

Well I had to bring in my machine - the needle moved over and came down on the 1/4' foot and messed it all up. UGH. But while I was there I spied my water fabrics and had to pick them up. I love them and will use the one with white spots for my surf - I hope.
Not sure what you mean about the backing for the kites - They are sewn on the marbled blue and I embroidered the strings down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	water.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	512507  
Old 03-05-2015, 06:31 PM

I'm going to have to bow out on this for now...I've got 4 quilts that need to be made & totally finished by mid April or soon after. Just can't fit this in right now. I will keep track on what everyone is doing...it's such an interesting idea!