Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Quilting Manifesto >

My Quilting Manifesto

My Quilting Manifesto

Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 PM

I decided I have to share this. I have a slightly different take on going through a dear departed's things. As an only child, it was up to me to go through my Mom's things: she collected a lot of things including owls, salt dishes, ceramics, etc., etc., etc., so there was quite a bit to go through. She'd also saved every single card and personal letter she'd ever received.

My DD come to help me. It took almost a month to get through it all. *LOL* It wasn't a matter of just throwing out all those papers, cards, and letters, either. She'd warned me she had hidden $20 bills all over the place! And, yes, we found quite a few. Most precious, though, were the photos I found.

I wouldn't trade one minute of that time. There were so many wonderful memories to share and I had the chance to tell my DD many, many family stories.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 AM

Inventory can be a liability if it's excessive and out of date. Useless machines that are held for production are also liabilities. But, treasured machines or antique machines held as collectibles aren't really liabilities. Collectibles are assets.. Useful machines are assets. Fabrics that form a "collection" meant for creativity, gifting, and donation are assets. They permit me to continue with my hobby without hitting my cash account for months! This time of year, that's really helpful. Otoh, I think we all understand that it isn't a good idea to rack up debt for fabric and machines we won't use.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post

My DD come to help me. It took almost a month to get through it all. *LOL* It wasn't a matter of just throwing out all those papers, cards, and letters, either. She'd warned me she had hidden $20 bills all over the place! And, yes, we found quite a few. Most precious, though, were the photos I found.

I wouldn't trade one minute of that time. There were so many wonderful memories to share and I had the chance to tell my DD many, many family stories.
I am happy for you. Personally, I would be appalled to think someone had to spend a month going through my things. Different situations and personalities call for different solutions. My only child predeceased me. I don't want his widow (who is remarrying this Spring) to be burdened. She and my grandchildren can pick up the photo albums along with a couple things my son made and leave for home the same afternoon. I don't want one of them picking up a bag of little red rectangles and asking "what did Nana want done with these? are they extra pieces or trash?"

One of my guilds helped a family dispose of a quilter's stash (patterns, fabric, tools, odd bits) at one meeting last year and raised money for them by selling it to the guild members. But at the end of the meeting they had to box up the dregs, leftovers that had been gone through and rejected. I am sure at least 10 boxes were returned to the family. So it is perfectly fine that some think it was great to have access to all the goodies at bargain prices, I just felt sad. I made myself find something to buy so that I helped the family out.

As to the philosophy that I have the money and it's my choice to buy - yeah, I have been there too. I like my stuff, I hope to use it wisely. But I know I have wasted money on stuff I will never use. In 2013 at a big quilt show I saw an ironing board that attaches to your table and I thought it would be perfect for me...well it was over $100 and it has never worked with any table in my sewing area. It is currently in the trunk of my car to be dumped at goodwill.

I still have enough money to buy whatever I want basically, I just want to be wiser.

These are my thoughts on what works for me. Everyone can proceed exactly as they wish. Just don't imply or write that I am not creative or having fun with my hobby because I take a different approach than you.

Last edited by Pagzz; 03-05-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:22 PM

I have a stash of both fabric and machines. Am in the process of rehoming some of the machines. Stash - I currently have no plans for downsizing yet. I do donate some fabric here and there as people ask. I am making some quilts this year that will mostly come from my stash, including piecing the backings but DH has no objections to its size or the space it takes up so the stash is staying. We are in the process of cleaning up and refurbing some of the machines because they do take up an enormous amount of space but we are mostly giving them to people in need. Not sure what to do with some of them.

All this being said that I think your guidelines might work for some but not everyone. It has however started a great thread.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:32 AM

I was actually in a JoAnn's earlier this week and did not purchase a single piece of fabric. I did purchase several items I have been searching for locally for projects on my to-do list. Now I can get those projects started and completed.