Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/2 way thru and a switch up >

1/2 way thru and a switch up

1/2 way thru and a switch up

Old 03-08-2015, 04:08 PM

Default 1/2 way thru and a switch up

This is my DH with my first quilt. He's about 6 ft tall and husky so it's a pretty ambious first project. I'm about half way thru actually quilting and have been doing it on the machine but I'm having problems with my vision so I think I will switch to hand quilting. However, here I am again getting ahead of myself because I have never even been able to sew a button on a shirt. So i guess my question is Do I still use a 14 or 16 gauge need but one for hand stitching instead of a machine or is there a whole new set of rules I need to learn?

Thankk you for taking the time to read.

<3 Mandi <3
Old 03-08-2015, 05:01 PM

I'll be glad to see what everyone says. I was told to just use quilting needles(betweens?)but the person who told me didn't mention size as I recall... just advised me to use something very sharp to get through all the layers.

Your quilt looks great!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:36 PM

Mandi, there are some excellent YouTube tutorials on hand quilting. First of all, it is best and easiest quilting to use quilting thread. My favorite is YLI, but gutterman quilting thread is a close second. Quilting thread has a coating that helps keep it from shredding and knotting. It is a little stiffer and therefore easier to thread the needle. The needles should be betweens. The higher the number, the finer the needle. I would recommend starting with a size 8 or 9. I like the betweens labeled large eye because they are easier to thread. You might also want to investigate big stitch quilting with perle cotton which is faster and is becoming popular. There is Internet information on this method also. I don't know your vision problem, but I have a vision problem and extra light helps. I have an Ott light which makes it easier to see my work. Your quilt is lovely. What a great DH to display the quilt for you.

Last edited by Genden; 03-08-2015 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-08-2015, 06:17 PM

Mandi...i don't have any suggestions for you - but i just wanted to say that your quilt is looking really great so far...and your DH looks very happy about it. Good luck with the quilting.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:38 PM

I think you might want to start out on a practice sandwich before jumping right in on the quilt itself. I agree that finding some tutorials, or a book on hand quilting would be the way to get started. (My preference is the Thimblelady method, and her book is called 'Perfect Hand Quilting without Pain'). When I began hand quilting, it was with needles I picked up at JoAnn's or Hancock's. After reading several books, I ordered some of Roxanne McElroy's betweens, and I couldn't believe how much better things went. So I would urge you to buy some quality needles.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:20 AM

I agree with both joe'smom and Genden. Quilting 'between' needles are typically shorter than general hand sewing needles so it is easier to control your stitch size/length with them. The Thimblelady method uses a longer needle as well as a thimble with the dimples on the side vs the top edge like most thimbles commercially available. You will definitely want a thimble of some sort.

I'm not sure what needles are normally used for the 'big stitch' quilting to which Genden refers. It is a popular alternative to traditional hand quilting. You might want to look at some examples of both to see which might be better/easier for you with your vision issues. And definitely lots of light! I use an adjustable halogen lamp next to my chair when I'm quilting. As well as stronger 'cheater' glasses as suggested by my eye doctor.

I also agree about a quality needle. I use Roxanne's as well and love them. Other folks have different preferences. It all depends on what works best for you.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:30 AM

Mandi, I have found the learning curve for hand quilting to be rather steep, so I'm throwing out another idea. If, by "halfway through" the machine quilting, you mean that you have quilting in all over the top but just not enough, you could switch to a contrasting thread and a slightly longer stitch. That might be more visible and could look very cool.

Also, another thought: get DH to help you trim it up at the end. Once on a low vision day, I actually put the cutter on TOP of the ruler.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 03-09-2015, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by panderz View Post

This is my DH with my first quilt. He's about 6 ft tall and husky so it's a pretty ambious first project. I'm about half way thru actually quilting and have been doing it on the machine but I'm having problems with my vision so I think I will switch to hand quilting. However, here I am again getting ahead of myself because I have never even been able to sew a button on a shirt. So i guess my question is Do I still use a 14 or 16 gauge need but one for hand stitching instead of a machine or is there a whole new set of rules I need to learn?

Thankk you for taking the time to read.

<3 Mandi <3
If you have vision problems I would think handquilting will be more challenging than machine......and also considering you have never done any...there are additional "supplies" you would need.....thread, needles, maybe a hoop.......are you willing to invest....then you will have to do some practicing----that little stitch does not come easily.....at least not for me......so may I suggest ...rest your eyes for a day or two. And then try again....maybe some "magnifying glasses" from Walgreen, Walmart, where ever might help.....and good lighting is also plus! You can finish this! So far so good!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I am also in the same boat with you with vision. I would just do the old "stitch in the ditch" between each strip. If you have a walking foot, it will make moving the quilt thru your machine much easier. I sometimes use a 16 needle when quilting. Depends mostly on the density of the quilt.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:04 PM

Thank you so much ladies. I really appreciate all the advice!! And the encouragement.
The vision problem is that I can not see things much further away than my computer screen. So in order to get that close to the machine I would have to be in a very uncomfortable and sloched position. I am working with the doctors to figure out what is wrong because I am only 24 but I just thought that maybe I could try and finish it while I am 'laid up' so to speak. It's frusterating to not be able to finish the project when I am so close.
I have watched a few tutorials on YouTube but none of them really talk about the size of needle, which is why I asked. The stitch looks easy enough but will take some practice. I already have all the other materials that I will need including the thread and some material to practice on.
I hope to be able to start piecing my next project as soon as I can see the machine well enough to not sew my finger.

<3 Mandi <3