Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My beginner whole-cloth endeavors... >

My beginner whole-cloth endeavors...

My beginner whole-cloth endeavors...

Old 03-11-2015, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Those are absolutely beautiful. You are fast becoming an artisan. I think I need to join a long arm group. It certainly wouldn't hurt my long arm skills and I can see where it would help me.

Having these ladies to brain-storm with is invaluable; the tips and tricks are invaluable as well, even though nobody else in my group has the same machine as I do; some of them actually do LA'ing as their primary household income, and the ages range from mid-twenties to early 70's, so there is a very broad range of knowledge and experience.

One of the best tips for me in doing these two quilts was for me to "turn OFF" my stitch regulator when I'm doing the dense fill stitches. That was another big learning experience for me - this was the first time I had done "manual" stitching.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:24 AM

Do you take custom orders?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:30 AM

Beginner? LOL, you make me want to cry, LOL. I've been LA quilting for over 10 years and can't do that! It is so very lovely! Thank you for posting it, very inspirational! Did you trapunto or double batt? If so, what did you use? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by abc123retired View Post
Do you take custom orders?
I have done in the past - right now, I'm on hold for anything other than panto's, as we are in the process of buying a farm and moving; however, feel free to PM me and I will send you my personal email and a tentative schedule for getting back to customs.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:48 AM
lbc

I think as others have expressed "WOW" is the best comment.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by bitchinstitchin View Post
Beginner? LOL, you make me want to cry, LOL. I've been LA quilting for over 10 years and can't do that! It is so very lovely! Thank you for posting it, very inspirational! Did you trapunto or double batt? If so, what did you use? Thanks.
If you've been LA'ing that long, I bet you are much better than you realize. Drafting this on paper first (see my earlier post in this thread about Lisa Calle's DVD's) using my LA rulers/templates helped me with the "vision" of the design. I would suggest that you give yourself this same challenge (pretend you're in my LA group - the criteria is in the first post in the thread) and just DO IT. I deliberately did the first one in contrasting thread so I could see where I needed to work the most on improvement. I have to tell you that I was very disappointed in myself with the first one. (Yeah, I'm an over-achiever.)

The first one only had one layer of batting, and used Aurifil 40wt thread, and bleached muslin fabric.
The second one had two layers of batting - bottom was 100% cotton, top was 95% silk/5% cotton. Fabric was just some plain bleached muslin, thread was "Allure" silk on the top, and "So Fine" in the bobbin.

I consider myself a beginner to whole-cloth; very experienced with panto's and meandering; and somewhere between for ruler/template work. I've had my LA for about 4 years now, and only started quilting for others in the past year or so. I guess I must be doing OK, as I have a handful of "repeat" customers. Since I also have a fulltime job, between my own quilts, and theirs, I have plenty to keep me busy.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:31 AM

Beautiful job. Thanks so much
Old 03-11-2015, 08:38 AM

beautiful.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:56 AM

WOW That is absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2015, 09:01 AM

Beautiful in everyway