Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Birthing method for larger quilts? >

Birthing method for larger quilts?

Birthing method for larger quilts?

Old 07-27-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by JNCT14
I have been using Crafty Bear's birthing technique
Could you fill us in more on this technique? I did a search under craftybear and "birthing" but it came up with nothing. I am most curious about how you go about pinning and quilting afterward.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:30 PM

I think it works nicely even on large quilts, just make sure the top and the bottom are precicely the same size. One suggestion: rather than leaving the opening for turning on an edge..Make a seam in your backing. Sew part of the way across, then backstitch. Then, using a basting stitch, sew 12 to 16 inches further. Return to your regular stitch length, backstitch and finish the seam. After sewing completely around the quilt, open only the basted part of the seam on the backing and turn the quilt by the birthing method. It is so much easier to hand stitch this nice flat opening closed, rather than closing on the edge of the quilt and all the edges are nice and even.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by jean1941
I have done this on size 44 X 72 a lot when making the pillow quilts love them and am making some for Christmas for brother and sister.
same here i enjoy doing them
Old 03-13-2015, 10:13 AM

Interesting in hearing how others do the quilting when you use the birthing method. Would you quilt the top to the batting then sew backing, top, batting together, pull through opening then sew around the edge of entire piece. Or, quilt after you have turned everything right side out, then sew around the entire piece?
Old 03-13-2015, 09:06 PM

Wow! i have seen this done on large quilts but thought that all of the quilt done this way were tired.. I will have to try this.. Thanks so much..
Old 03-15-2015, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts View Post
I've done it on large full-size quilts, but then they were tied, not stitch-quilted.

I also started doing Quilts for Kids about a year ago, and this pillowcase method worked well, was fast and easy, etc., but I really missed doing the handwork, so I went back to binding them all. Love doing the binding - adds a nice touch of color, too.
I thought Quilts for Kids wanted machine stitched bindings?
Old 03-22-2015, 06:33 PM

For me to. I looked for the tutorials and craftybear but only found this thread. Can you point me in the right direction. Am in the middle of a project using this technique right now but am stumped .QUOTE=BuzzinBumble;3800171]Could you fill us in more on this technique? I did a search under craftybear and "birthing" but it came up with nothing. I am most curious about how you go about pinning and quilting afterward.[/QUOTE]