Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Last 5 Quilts Ever... >

Last 5 Quilts Ever...

Last 5 Quilts Ever...

Old 03-16-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Your post is very eye opening. Two year ago I stopped all quilt making obligations. I don't care if cousin's DH's nephew wants a tee shirt quilt, I don't want to make one.
Good for you! I am keeping this in mind!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:22 AM

Here is a picture of a treadle case make over. That is a small sink sitting on top.

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
I also have two treadles but I have no attachment to them. Aside from using them as an end table etc. I don't even know if they work or if parts are available.
I would welcome any suggestions.[ATTACH=CONFIG]513864[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11021069_854529781256191_3845467753267754064_n.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	513864  
Old 03-16-2015, 09:47 AM

What a thought provoking thread! I've really enjoyed reading the responses!!

Earlier this year I was talking to my Mom about what quilts I had coming up- one of rmy daughters bed, and to of my good friends.

My 14 year old son interjected and said "what about one for your bed, Mom?" Sooo- when I finish my daughters quilt I'm doing one for MY bed. She just went up to a full sized bed so I owe her that. LOL! As women we tend to put others before our needs/ desires.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
No such thing as an obligatory quilt in my book.
same with me except that one and only one that I am working on right now after a special request from my Sister In Law..and I took it as a challenge because I want to try different things for the reverse side and she does not know about it. So I am kind of making it my way any way loll
Old 03-17-2015, 07:26 AM

My mother quilted some but did hand work much more. When she was in her late 80's and I could see she was not crocheting as much as she used too. I purchased baby yarn and told her to just crochet baby quilts any style any color. she died at 92. I kept all the baby blankets and when ever there was a baby shower for a new arrival, I would wrap one up and give the gift of love from their grandma(great grandma-great great grandma) The tears flowed and smiles were seen. But most of all no one cared about the color or size Just the sentiment. I still have a couple left and these will be for the great great grandchildren.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:39 AM
DJ

Good thoughts! I just want to try not to leave too many WIPs for DDs to deal with. I don't mind leaving fabric.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:23 AM

My DH Len always put things off that he wanted to do...until later... He loved DQ ice cream or anything similar to it. Always passed right by it and wouldn't stop. And then 18 months after he retired, he found out he had an incurable brain tumor and he died 7 weeks later. During those 7 weeks, we stopped at nearly every DQ we drove by and he did the things he wanted to do or could do. So I always try and enjoy life the best I can as we never ever know when the time is coming that we won't be able to. I am working with some lovely fabrics right now on patterns that I love. I don't make quilts for extended family members or anyone else (except a lot of beautiful charity quilts). Enjoying today, it's all I have.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:47 AM

My Dad is one of eight and his mother and sisters used to quilt all the time. I still have a few of the quilts my Granny made. When she passed at 92, we found several tops in a hope chest. Only me and one of my 42 cousins quilt so we made the decision to cut the tops up into large squares, frame them, and give one to each of the kids and grandkids. That way, everyone received a piece of Granny's quilts.
In addition to quilting I do a lot of little sewing projects - casserole carriers, pin cushions, cast iron handle covers, embroidering t-shirts, fleece baby blankets, etc. I had so many people telling me (not asking) what I should make and then volunteering me to make things for other people. It got to the point that I absolutely dreaded going to my sewing room. I was constantly finding other things to do and excuses why I couldn't sew that night. No one should dread their sewing machine. I finally said enough is enough and for over a year I quit making anything for anyone unless it was my idea. For the past 6 months straight I've worked on NOTHING but quilts. The ones I want to make. With the fabric I like. Now, I am excited to get home and get to my sewing room! I did have one aunt that got mad at me when I said "NO" but she got over it and so did I. Life is too short not do what you love!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:36 AM

very thoughtful post. You make us all pay attention to life and that is a good thing to do
Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 AM

While working on a quilt, it comes to me who will get it. My neice is getting the latest one because it has bright, happy colors. Her and her hubby have had a hard year. I'm making littlest grandaughter a big girl quilt. I have a musical lap quilt to finish. I saw on Facebook a photo of my older brother, a great pianist, sitting at the piano with his newest grandson who is 5 months old so I think the baby will get the quilt. I have very few ufos's and have decided will only finish the ones I like. I just turned 66 and don't want to waste my time on things I don't like.