Kenmore 117-959

Old 03-15-2015, 08:45 AM

What KRA said about sanding the drive wheels is true. But they are still available new. I've bought a few and need a few more. It "should" take the one with the 9/32" ID shaft hole.

Sew-Classic shows them as does a couple more places on the internet.

Joe
Old 03-16-2015, 06:49 AM

Aye - I put a new drive wheel on mine; the one it came with wasn't flat but had been worn concave over the years and was hard and slipping. (I think the machine I got was well-used for many years, based on notes and things I found in the cabinet) A new wheel was just a few bucks and made the machine run quieter too.

I place a bobbin (because that's what's handy) between the motor and the body of the machine when I'm not using it so it won't rest on the wheel and give it a flat spot. I should make a little pad out of scrap fabric & batting to tuck in there instead; that finish is pretty rugged and not likely to scratch from the metal bobbin but can't hurt to use something softer.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:56 AM

I just purchased this model at a local Salvation Army. It is my first Kenmore model 117 and was surprised to see that it is a rotary machine. It came in a cabinet, which I think is original, but without the manual or any attachments. It is a knee operated model. It was covered in lots of cobwebs but has no rust on it. The light came on and it sewed immediately! Now I need to clean and lubricate it and try to thread it...which looks like a new adventure. I am confused about a previous post by J Miller on which direction to turn the hand wheel!

I'm glad to have found this post and read the previous comments...very helpful. Oh, and I did find this model on utube.

Luella