Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you found your "perfect" machine? >

Have you found your "perfect" machine?

Have you found your "perfect" machine?

Old 03-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

I have 12 machines now. Mostly vintage, which I really enjoy. Having said that, my go to machine for the past 12 years since I got it (well, lifted it from my son who bought it at Costco so I could make him drapes, long story, but I did) is a mechanical Brother XR-52. I love that machine. It sews over anything, is not fussy about thread, can do a nice job of FMQ, has some decorative stitches. I made said son a king size quilt and did stitch in the ditch on that machine with it's tiny harp. I yanked the quilt through it, and the machine never missed a beat or a stitch. So, as much as I love the vintages I am now collecting, that dinky mechanical Walmart version Brother (but bought at Costco) is to me as good a machine as any. Whenever anyone "disses" those machines I think, not mine!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:30 PM

I love my Juki 2010Q for piecing. Love, love, love it!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
I do like my Baby Lock quilters pro which is now called the Jane. Haven't bonded with my BabyLock Crescendo which is terrible to FMQ with. Wish I never got it.
how do you like it for other things? I have looked at that machine for a long time, but I just can't make up my mind. I have an Esante and am looking to upgrade. Mine is a combo machine and I'm not sure if I want to go to back to separate machines or stay with a combo. Any tips you could offer would be great. Thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2015, 03:03 PM

My Bernina, hands down!!
Old 03-17-2015, 03:04 PM

I only have 2 sewing machines.

I've had a Singer 9022 for about 25 years. I love it but only because I'm used to it.

I just got a repro Singer Sphinx last month but haven't used it much. It just runs away from me. I haven't been using it because I'm trying to finish a twin bedding set that has a lot of stenciling and whatnot and the 9022 is much easier to control.

I am planning to make a quilt on the other one. It will be something simple with 2.5" strips. I think once I get used to it I will like having an adjustable presser foot and droppable feed dogs.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:15 PM

I am very fond of my Pfaff 1471 from 1986 and use it everyday. I can tell it is beginning to show it's age but will use it until it can go no more. I really need to take it in to be serviced. I need to start sewing on my Brother 1500D again, but some how always go to my Pfaff.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:15 PM

I love my Brother PC-420. It's sooo easy to use, and the thread cutter and needle threader are both awesome.

I inherited my Granny's Pfaff 7550, and used it a little, but just couldn't seem to "bond" with it. It's now sitting in the closet, along with the Featherweight I bought, which is really cute, but again, I couldn't seem to "bond" with it. I really ought to just sell them, but Granny's machine has sentimental value, so I'd have a hard time parting with it. She loved that machine, and was so proud when she bought it.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
I love my Brother PC-420. It's sooo easy to use, and the thread cutter and needle threader are both awesome.

I inherited my Granny's Pfaff 7550, and used it a little, but just couldn't seem to "bond" with it. It's now sitting in the closet, along with the Featherweight I bought, which is really cute, but again, I couldn't seem to "bond" with it. I really ought to just sell them, but Granny's machine has sentimental value, so I'd have a hard time parting with it. She loved that machine, and was so proud when she bought it.

If if you ever decide to sell it, please pm me
Old 03-17-2015, 03:20 PM

There are no perfect machines just ones that are better at some things. As a result, I have 3 machines set up at all times. I piece and quilt on my Juki TL98Q, piece and do fancy stitches on my Juki Exceed 600 and mend and make wonderful buttonholes on my vintage Singer 201. I use my Featherweight for taking to my Stitch-in Days. Until they do make the perfect machine, this works for me.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:22 PM

I'm on the same page with Stitchinripper. I can't say enough good things about my Little Brother Project runway machine that I got on sale at Walmart for like $85. It sews like a dream and never misses a beat or should I say stitch. I bought it to use while we traveled but it soon became my very favorite machine and I moved him right into the house. I retired my high priced Singer and my Featherweight because they just can't compare to the joib done by my Little Brother.