Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping blocks in order off of design wall >

Keeping blocks in order off of design wall

Keeping blocks in order off of design wall

Old 03-21-2015, 04:44 AM

It is so interesting to read how everyone keeps their quilts in order for sewing. My DD and I both have made mistakes by sewing the wrong sides of blocks together in the rows. I do have Fons and Porter row markers, which are great, but there are not enough for each block, now I have a few different ideas to try out!

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-21-2015, 05:22 AM

I take a picture with my camera. I find it very helpful when trying to decide a layout...and then again when I have to remember how I l laid it out.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:50 AM

Lots of good ideas! I try to put the right side piece over the left and put a pin (or a clip) on that seam at the top edge. Then go and sew it. You could do a whole row like that to the machine and sew them all at once. Then take them back to the design wall and see if they are correct. Every once in a while, stand back and admire your work. Did you do it right.

I have had a quilt on my design wall almost finished and had it hanging there for a few days while other things were going on. Then I saw that something was wrong. It takes a while sometimes for thing to pop out at you. Better to correct it while it's still a flimsy.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:58 AM

I mark the first block in each row with a pinned on small post-it. When I remove each row to sew, I start with that block, picking up each successive block under it in a stack. I sew this row, then replace on the design wall and start with the next row. If you have trouble turning the blocks in the wrong direction at the sewing table, then label each block with an arrow indicating which direction is UP, or put the number in the same corner (upper left). A little prep time saves a lot of UN-sewing, which we all hate.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:09 AM

I used to do the paper thing also but even that got me confused at times. What I do now is take a Sharpie or pen and mark on the seamline on the back of each block. Row one would be 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc. Row 2 is 2-1, 2-2, 2,3. And if there is a definite direction I out an arrow pointing which way is up. It takes less time than cutting little pieces of paper or using the pins which can become cumbersome and sometimes fall out.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:11 AM

I always mark the back in the seam allowance with a marking tool ( like for row 1 block one I might put r1 b1) I always try to mark them because it is so easy to get them mixed up.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mamaw322 View Post
Argh! For the life of me every time I try to take my blocks off to stitch them, I cannot keep them in the right order! Please share your secrets to keeping them in order off the design wall!

iron them onto the shiny side of freezer paper.
It doesn't take long, just flip the pieces of the block over, lay the shiny side down on top, press
and after a few seconds to cool, pick up and head to your machine.
That's my original story and I'm sticking to it.
I've never heard of it before, but it works for me.

You can also use the piece of fr. ppr multiple times.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:16 AM

Oh, this is a REALLY interesting strategy for keeping strips corralled!

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I use a spiral notebook to keep my blocks in order. I sort of use the pages as file folders. I number the blocks (or fabric) using stick on garage sale labels and then store them in the spiral notebook. I don't have blocks stored that way right now, but I have the strips cut out for my next Bargello stored that way....in case pictures help anyone....and in case this method might work for anyone else...

This way, if I need to, I can pick up a "whole quilt" and move it. This spiral notebook contains all my strips for a Bargello for a twin sized bed.

Dina
Old 03-21-2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mamaw322 View Post
Argh! For the life of me every time I try to take my blocks off to stitch them, I cannot keep them in the right order! Please share your secrets to keeping them in order off the design wall!
I use small pieces of blue painter's tape. The columns are A, B, C, etc. and the rows are numbered.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:21 AM

I use a snip of blue painter's tape near the upper left corner of each block -- marked with row & column code. It hasn't left any residue (yet) and, is easy to re-position, and comes off easily even if I iron over it.