Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping blocks in order off of design wall >

Keeping blocks in order off of design wall

Keeping blocks in order off of design wall

Old 03-21-2015, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
Some company makes straight pins with numbered heads. I can't remember who makes them but they come in a clear flat round container. They were a little pricey but if you could find them with a coupon might be fine.
After getting some of these for a door prize for our show from the maker, I decided that I wanted some for myself--very handy and well worth the price.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy T. View Post
I saw these and thought they were very expensive so I made my own using a Sharpie marker on flathead flower pins. I have used them three separate times and they are holding up so far, but I used really cheap pins to see if it would work!
I did the same thing on my flat flower head pins! I do like the camera idea also.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:55 PM

Forgot....on my twister quilts, I used a washable marker in the seam...1L, 1R, 2L, etc.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by imsewnso View Post
I pin them together as I take them off the wall and put them back on the wall when I am finished sewing that seam.
That is the way I do, also.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
I use sticky notes and number the blocks. Then I put the note at the top of the block so I know which is the top.
This is what I do, have a mind like a sieve and get interrupted constantly. Without notes I would be lost.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:17 AM

I made these for a quilt swap. I managed to find an eBay seller that sold the beads already sorted into A-Z.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]514454[/ATTACH]

Like the other posters, for numbers I drew them on to pink flower head pins.

When I remove blocks from my design wall I remove them in order, by row. I number that row whilst still on the wall and always move from left to right with the last block on the bottom. I then secure each row with a Clover Wonderclip.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Safety Pins.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	719.8 KB
ID:	514454  
Old 03-22-2015, 04:41 AM

I need to remember to take a picture, as I don't usually have blocks, but rather, pieces. .

So, I draw an old-fashioned diagram on graph paper, code the fabrics with letters, and fill in the diagram as I pick each block up. I stack the "blocks" for each half row and put them on a big cardboard covered with a folded sheet. I put a sticky next to each pile, which sometimes comes off, hence the backup diagram. When the cardboard is full, I fold another layer of the sheet over and make another layer of blocks. The last of the sheet goes over the top, along with the diagram, and the entire thing goes into a dark spot until I'm ready for it. If I can,t quilt for awhile, it just sits there quietly. When I start working, I use other, smaller cardboards covered with muslin towels to carry and store rows I am assembling. The pieces don't slide, and the boards can be slid into thin spaces over the tops of boxes in the closet.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 03-22-2015, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I use pins with letters glued to them. Went looking for the flower pins but refuse to pay the price I found them at so made my own using baby bracelet beads and straight pins with the yellow balls on the ends. I stuck them upsidedown on my ironing board with a letter threaded thru them and added a drop of non washable Elmer's Glue. Let them dry and you're good to go. While making a bargello quilt they came in handy keeping the rows in order. I made 8 sets of these pins and have given a few out as I doubt I'll ever need 8 sets. Got the beads and extra pins at WalMart for about an 8th the price they wanted for the flower pins.
I really like this idea. Do it once and you have the pins "forever" to use on future projects. Will have to check out our Walmart. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:13 PM

I lay out my pieces, get them how I want them, then start top to bottom on 1st row, pin it with one pin. I do the same thing with each of the rest of the rows only the 2nd row gets two pins on the top block, 3rd gets 3 and so forth. It's pretty difficult to mix them up that way as you're only working on one row at a time and taking one block off the pin at a time after sewing the first two, keeps me right on track! I work in a very small space, so doing it this way really helps and is easy on the budget. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2015, 01:07 PM

I use green painters tape and a maker to number the blocks. If necessary I make little directional arrows. I use painters tape for making lines when I quilt. I love the stuff.