Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your biggest waste of money? >

What was your biggest waste of money?

What was your biggest waste of money?

Old 03-19-2015, 08:13 PM

I bought the "halo" to help with quilting, didn't like it at all
Old 03-19-2015, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by SharonCase View Post
About 18 or so years ago, I really wanted a serger, but couldn't really afford one. I found a cheap one that was clearanced and bought it. It's bad... Very bad. Money down the drain.
I did this, bought a used one from a friend. Used it as a trade in on my new sewing machine.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
I used my shape cut ruler yesterday to sub-cut some strips I had sewn together. I cut them at 2 1/2". Easy peasy. Too bad each one is just a bit short of 2 1/2" I borrowed my friend's create grids ruler with the slits. I will try it out tonight to see if it is more accurate. I'll let you know!
I guess I don't know how to measure (or spell creative). My strips measured exactly the same with the more expensive ruler.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 PM

I came into a bit of money and bought a pfaff..$1,300. I was told it didn't have the automatic thread cutter which is so useful on my present machine...a five year old janome QC...too impulsive.....I wanted the automatic quilting foot on the pffaf ...haven't even used it yet. It has too many embroidery stitches,,,and my eyes so weak that I have to use a flashlight and magnifying glass to see the chart, I doubt I will ever get the full use of such a machine...hate new things entering my old age. And what to do with the janome? Sigh
Old 03-21-2015, 11:49 PM

I guess I don't know how to measure (or spell creative). My strips measured exactly the same with the more expensive ruler.
I like to lay my 24"x6" ruler on top of my Shape Cut and press down as I go along. I think it stops the plastic 'puffing' as you cut
Old 03-22-2015, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lovequilting22 View Post
i can thread mine fine, but the tension is killing me. I've not given up yet, but if you see a story on the news of a serger dropped off a bridge in Eastern PA, you will know it was me.
Now that's an example of total frustration, thanks for the morning giggles....
Old 03-22-2015, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by shadoh View Post
I came into a bit of money and bought a pfaff..$1,300. I was told it didn't have the automatic thread cutter which is so useful on my present machine...a five year old janome QC...too impulsive.....I wanted the automatic quilting foot on the pffaf ...haven't even used it yet. It has too many embroidery stitches,,,and my eyes so weak that I have to use a flashlight and magnifying glass to see the chart, I doubt I will ever get the full use of such a machine...hate new things entering my old age. And what to do with the janome? Sigh
Keep your Janome! You may find you prefer piecing on it and using the Pfaff for quilting and embroidery. It's always good to a have an extra machine for when you main machine needs servicing.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
I like to lay my 24"x6" ruler on top of my Shape Cut and press down as I go along. I think it stops the plastic 'puffing' as you cut
That is an excellent idea! I will have to give it a try.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:20 PM

Keep your Janome! You may find you prefer piecing on it and using the Pfaff for quilting and embroidery. It's always good to a have an extra machine for when you main machine needs servicing.
Thanks..I still have my original singer (it does zigzag!)...bought in 1964, from my tip money while working for a few months. I believe it cost $169.00. (No tax back then)..I used it for all the kids clothing till they grew up and only wanted store bought. A lull in sewing until 10 years ago, I took a quilting course after retiring...and was captivated...I bought a janome and then an upgrade..this is my third machine in ten years, do people buy used sewing machines? I doubt if I could sell it tho it cost 800 four years ago.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:59 AM

I just ordered the EQ7 today. So excited!