Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way: machine binding, how do you do it? >

Best way: machine binding, how do you do it?

Best way: machine binding, how do you do it?

Old 03-22-2015, 05:48 PM

I do it much the same way as krafty14, 2 1/4" binding sewn to the back and flipped to the front. I think the only difference is I use a decorative stitch to sew mine down. I haven't done a hand binding in over 2 years! Here's an album that shows the stitch I use http://imgur.com/a/PMnK8 I should also add that I almost always use bias binding. I use the stitch line from attaching to it the back as a placement guide when I flip it to the front, placing the binding just over that line. PM me if you have questions on my method. I'm making it one of my own quilting 'signatures'.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:53 AM

Because I do a lot of quilts for Project Linus most times I machine stitch my binding, it's more durable and tougher for the usage that these quilts will get. I have no problem with it, I cut my bindings 2.5" wide, fold in half, stitch per normal to the quilt and machine stitch it down using a normal presser foot! The pic below shows binding using a Greek Key stitch but I use a lot of different ones. I do overlock stitch my quilt edges before attaching the binding and I think that helps a lot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Greek Key binding front.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	514555  
Old 03-23-2015, 03:36 AM

I sew the binding to the back and turn it over to the front and top stitch it. I have carpal tunnel syndrome, so hand stitching isn't possible.
Here' my video of me binding a baby quilt with a 1917 White Rotary treadle machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4kVaamCRnc

Last edited by purplefiend; 03-23-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

I still do the old way. Sew to back and hand sew to the front.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
After years of trying the edge-stitching foot and moving my needle over, and sticking it down with wash-away wonder tape to keep it in place I was still not happy with the result. I have just learned a new technique using a flat felling foot (used for the double-needle seem on jeans). I sew it to the back, then use this foot to top stitch it down on the front. It has a deep groove underneath for the binding to ride when I sew it down. I use the 8mm felling foot for my Bernina (#71) and cut my strips at 2". I got a decent finish my first try without practice.

I found this technique on a blog and all I can cay is THANK YOU to the bloger:

http://awomanaday.com/2013/01/17/hap...nding-edition/
This is the one I want to try, saw it a long time ago but forgot about it, so thanks to OP for this thread! For my machine, it is called an adjustable bias binder, will adjust from 6mm to 20mm.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
After years of trying the edge-stitching foot and moving my needle over, and sticking it down with wash-away wonder tape to keep it in place I was still not happy with the result. I have just learned a new technique using a flat felling foot (used for the double-needle seem on jeans). I sew it to the back, then use this foot to top stitch it down on the front. It has a deep groove underneath for the binding to ride when I sew it down. I use the 8mm felling foot for my Bernina (#71) and cut my strips at 2". I got a decent finish my first try without practice.

I found this technique on a blog and all I can cay is THANK YOU to the bloger:

http://awomanaday.com/2013/01/17/hap...nding-edition/
This is the one I want to try, saw it a long time ago but forgot about it, so thanks to OP for this thread! For my machine, it is called an adjustable bias binder, will adjust from 6mm to 20mm.

Last edited by Latrinka; 03-23-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: double post
Old 03-25-2015, 02:36 AM

I sew binding to the front. Press outwards. Turn and pin to the back just beyond the stitch line. Stitch in the ditch on the front side. It does take a little practice to get it right, but makes a beautiful binding with great corners.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 AM

I always machine sew my binding. My trick is to use a decorative feather stitch when doing the final stitching. It holds well, looks nice, and camouflages minor inconsistencies. I find it looks very nice as long as my binding is even. BTW, I use 2 1/2" binding and I have started serging the edges of my quilt before binding. It gives me a smooth solid edge to work with.

Pam
Old 03-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
When I hand sew my bindings, I end up with very sore fingers, I just can't seem to get use to wearing a thimble - drives me crazy.
Try these, they are great

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24722607?w...242832&veh=sem
Old 03-26-2015, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ktigger2 View Post
I do it much the same way as krafty14, 2 1/4" binding sewn to the back and flipped to the front. I think the only difference is I use a decorative stitch to sew mine down. I haven't done a hand binding in over 2 years! Here's an album that shows the stitch I use http://imgur.com/a/PMnK8 I should also add that I almost always use bias binding. I use the stitch line from attaching to it the back as a placement guide when I flip it to the front, placing the binding just over that line. PM me if you have questions on my method. I'm making it one of my own quilting 'signatures'.
I really like the way your binding technique looks. Your stitches look good on the front and back.