Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • #9 Mystery Quilt Train Ride - Who's got scraps? >
  • #9 Mystery Quilt Train Ride - Who's got scraps?

• #9 Mystery Quilt Train Ride - Who's got scraps?

Old 03-23-2015, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S
    Question for all you Judy devotees. How many Judy designed UFO's do you have? Counting the second #9 I am finishing now I have five.
    I have seven. I love to piece and I just go on to the next one rather than learn to quilt. I don't send them out because I am determined to learn to quilt but seem to put that last on the list. Like Sunlite says, you need to practice, practice and that's the stage I can't seem to get to. So, I have seven of Judy's, two or three BOMs, PokerDiva's year of paper piecing 50 state stars, all from this board, plus a couple of others.

This train ride has turned out some BEAUTIFUL quilts. It really has a lot of variations and visual effects. Great jobs! Judy, you really engineered a winner on this one. Sorry I missed this trip but will make it on the next ride. All packed!
    Old 03-23-2015, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine
    I have seven. I love to piece and I just go on to the next one rather than learn to quilt. I don't send them out because I am determined to learn to quilt but seem to put that last on the list. Like Sunlite says, you need to practice, practice and that's the stage I can't seem to get to. So, I have seven of Judy's, two or three BOMs, PokerDiva's year of paper piecing 50 state stars, all from this board, plus a couple of others.

This train ride has turned out some BEAUTIFUL quilts. It really has a lot of variations and visual effects. Great jobs! Judy, you really engineered a winner on this one. Sorry I missed this trip but will make it on the next ride. All packed!
    You could try quilt as you go, less intimidating to quilt one 12-16 inch block then a whole top.
    Old 03-23-2015, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S
    Habit is a powerful thing, just hit that submit button without thinking.

Just a commit on what I call a UFO. Basically anything that I have folded up and put away before completing to the laundering and gifting stage.
    Oh my Gosh, until I read several comments after this picture I would never have guessed that was the same pattern, amazing amazing. Wow.
    Old 03-23-2015, 12:14 PM

I also have done all of Judy's train rides (not necessarily at the same time as everyone else).
    So far I've gifted the finished quilt of train ride #2 and am almost done with the QAYG borders on #8.
    The others are all waiting for the quilting fairies. Lol!

Have loved the results of each one. Thanks again Judy for all you do to make these so much fun.
    Old 03-23-2015, 01:21 PM

I did three versions of #6, two versions of #7, one version of #8, and one of #9. All are finished except #9 (waiting for backing and border fabric). I gifted the #6s and #7s already. Not sure what I will do with #8; my mom will get #9 for a Christmas gift this year. I hope to go back and do some of the others--I copied Belfrybat's helpful posts with all the links and post #s for the mysteries.

Thanks to Judy for lots of fun!
    Old 03-23-2015, 02:25 PM
    Power Poster

this last one is waiting for the quilting fairie too. I think i'll gift it to
    Redgarnet for the Diabetes auction. can't wait till Saturday and get
    our first clue again. this stuff is addicting.
    Old 03-23-2015, 04:21 PM
    Power Poster

Lynnie please pm me sat. to remind me of the new train ride please.I do't want to miss it.
    Old 03-23-2015, 06:46 PM

All my finished MT quilts have found new homes. I wait until I have 12 or so quilttops finished & then do all the quilting at once (takes me a month to do). I'm not thrilled with that part, have to be in the mood to do it. I like piecing & machine binding. But it does get done in the end!

Thanks, Emma...I worked hard on that quilt. For those interested in looking; see "Totally Out of my element..." thread from a couple days ago. April is to be my quilting & finishing month!

Last edited by VickiM; 03-23-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    Old 03-23-2015, 08:51 PM

It took me a day and a half to figure out what I want to do for a border. Does this look too big and overpowering? The blocks are the same size as the white squares. I want a larger border to add to the size of the quilt.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:23 AM

I like it and I think it will make a bold statement. I don't think it will be overpowering because I'm thinking the eyes will be drawn back to the colors. Never know till ya get more out there. Lovely, lovely top!