Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you remove pins as you sew or sew over them? >

Do you remove pins as you sew or sew over them?

Do you remove pins as you sew or sew over them?

Old 03-30-2015, 05:54 PM

It depends on the pin. Those big "quilting pins" are a big no, no! Fine glass head or patchwork pins, sure, I run over them.

As a sewing machine mechanic, the one thing that I would love to convince people of is to throw those big quilting pins away. When you run over those, you might break a needle. But the real damage is to the hook, down inside the bobbin area. It can put a nasty burr on the tip, or even break the tip right off.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:40 PM

I'm with Nammie to 7 and TinkerQuilts! I rarely pin, but use a bamboo skewer, and adjust often. When I need to pin, I do not sew over the pins.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I'm with Nammie to 7 and TinkerQuilts! I rarely pin, but use a bamboo skewer, and adjust often. When I need to pin, I do not sew over the pins.
I'm in this "camp" too. I am really surprised at all the replies " yes, I sew over pins"....... The cost of the machines should definitely convince one to be as careful with them as possible......and if it's a vintage one, all the more reason to treat with care....cannot be replaced! And, even when I did sew clothing...(taught by mother), no sewing over pins.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:36 AM

I sew over the pins, rarely hitting one and no bad results, other than a bent pin, when I do.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:48 AM

I was taught to sew over the pins when I learned to sew in the 50's but to save my machine possible damage I try to keep the pins away from the sew line. I have run over pins on occasion and have been lucky not to cause any problems. I try to get the thinnest pins in the store!
Old 03-31-2015, 03:49 AM

I sew over pins but I place them with the pin point facing the raw edge of the fabric. The edge of the pin is much thinner. I find the sewing machine needle glides over the pins placed this way. I don't remember the last time I broke a needle with the pins facing the raw edge. Hope this makes sense.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:56 AM

I pin away from the sewing edge. I then can leave the pin in the project when I am sewing. I do not go over the pins. I have had a pin break and fly up into my face and chest. I don't need to have a needle in my body. Thank goodness, I was not injured, but I learned a valuable lesson.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:57 AM

It is NEVER a good idea to sew over pins. It can knock your machine out of time and you will get a BIG bill for repairs. Ask me how I know! Not to mention that it will break your needle and send fragments flying which is a danger in itself unless you sew with goggles.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:58 AM

I almost always sew over pins. The sewing foot has the little hinge that lets it adjust as you go over a pin. I taught sewing classes at school for 31 years. Yes, we occasionally broke a needle, but most of the time it kept their fabric where it needed to be for a seam. The key was making sure that the thinnest part of the pin was near the seam (heads out of the way of the foot). I tried to have the area between where the pin went in and came out, be about where the sewing would be. I taught that pins as perpendicular (always a good vocab word) to the seam as they could be would help that. Now when sewing a seam with quilting that has been pinned to keep it matching at an intersection, I only remove the pin if it is too thick. Then only when the needle is right up to the pin.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

I don't use a pin unless I just have to. I use Wonder clips or glue baste. I detest pins, I always prick myself. I would never sew over one, just not worth the chance of a screw up.