Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense?  Help! >

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

Old 03-31-2015, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nanax4 View Post
I have a very old Kenmore machine for which I paid $50 at the outlet store...in 1978.
It's been great. It's electric, zig zags, I have *all* the fancy feet. But the motor is giving out.

Time for a new machine. I had no idea how much new machines cost, or what they could do. Oh my!
Long story short, I've fallen in love with the Baby Lock Crescendo. It does everything but vacuum!
For $4500.

I'm struggling. How do I justify such a fancy/costly machine???

I make quilts to give to relatives, sew clothes for the grandchildren, sew Halloween, ballet, and gymnastics costumes, alter my rtw clothes, mend, hem.

I'd started out looking Bernina's...too costly for what you get. I'm pretty frugal. I'd rather have a lesser machine and get more attachments/bells & whistles. I don't need top of the line. But I do love my gadgets!

I then looked at the Symphony, but realized that the Aria had an 11.25" harp space. To die for!!!!

I realized that by the time I bought the Mu-Vit foot for the Aria (their new dual feed foot) the difference in price between the Aria and the Crescendo was only about $600. And I really was attracted to that laser light, and the cool electronic pen.

This will probably be the last sewing machine that I buy. I'm 64, and hoping to retire in two years. If not now, when? I've always been frugal, have always gone without. It's time that I buy something nice for myself. I have the cash to pay for this, so I won't be financing it.

So....what do you guys think? Is this a good purchase? Will I be happy with it? How do I justify that expensive of a machine for the kind of sewing that I do? Or will I regret that I spent that much money on a sewing machine? The difference in cost between the Symphony and the Crescendo would buy a lot of fabric.

Help me sort this out!
If you can go far what you want, enjoy all the extras we only live once. I bought my Long arm quilter and a new sewing machine in the past 2 years, I am worth them... GO GIRL.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:27 AM

You didn't have to ask because it appears your mind is made up. Buy the machine you are in love with...remember, life is short, very short. Enjoy learning all the bells and whistles!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:34 AM

I am going to be pretty blunt here and just say go get that Crescendo RUN don't walk. You can't do better than a Babylock for quality. I looked at the video and that 11.5 harp is just to die for. I have a Brother Quattro (same as the Babylock). I was going to keep it for Embroidery only BUT I LOVE sewing and quilting on it.
That machine has everything you want. Like the song says it will make you "So Dam Happy"! You may not realize it now but sewing and quilting goes a very long way in keeping your brain healthy and sharp. You almost can't put a price tag on that. I wouldn't be saying what I did if you didn't have the money saved for it.
Just go for it girl. I had the money saved for a $7500 one nearly 4 years ago. I got it and never gave it a second thought. Be sure and post what you decide.
Geri in Anchorage
Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 AM

My fancy machine has two features I really love most. The auto needle threader, and the push button thread cutter. Make sure you have all you want before you write that check. You can also doing your shopping, find the machine you must have, then order it on Amazon. Might be able to get a fancier machine if you do....
Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I can't give an opinion on your machine of choice, as I am not familiar with it. However, as skratchie pointed out, the two questions you should ask are: 1: Do you want it and 2. Can you afford it. You say that you are and always have been a frugal person; I suggest that because you have saved money in so many other areas of your life, that you go ahead and get your dream machine. Sometimes we have a tendency to put the wants and needs of others ahead of our own; I believe you are more than worth it and should go ahead and purchase your dream machine. As you stated, you are approaching retirement, this to me means that you should get it while you are still working, as you will be using this machine for a long time. Be kind to yourself, I doubt that you will regret it.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:53 AM

You have been frugal all your life. You need a machine. You want a specific machine. You can afford it. Buy it. Consider this your retirement gift to yourself. You will probably sew even more after you have retired. You are worth this investment. I have been retired for 3 years, and I thank goodness that I bought a Bernina several years before I retired. People used to tease me because I had bought a Bernina that I never had time to sew on, but now I am so happy that I did.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

DH came home with a new pair of binoculars. He was showing them to me and I said I thought you had a good pair and he said yeah but these are better and has more features. Price of the new ones: $552.72 He never thought twice if he had to justify the cost, they were better then what he had so he bought them. He might use them twice a year. You think for one minute I'll try and justify any purchases I want? LOL. I know he won't buy what we can't afford and he knows I won't either.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:11 AM

It sounds like this machine will do everything you need it to do... if you have the money and can afford to do it without giving up something that is a necessity I say go for it. Two years ago my 1977 Pfaff broke and could not be fixed. I found a Baby Lock Serenade that had all of the features my Pfaff had, it was expensive when my husband and I set down and talked about it he said if it lasted 1/2 as long as the Pfaff it would be worth every penny we paid for it. I have it setting out and use it everyday.

It really is your decision and only YOU can make it.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:14 AM

once you retire, you will have more time to sew and will be so grateful that you have a wonderful machine to use. Treat yourself, you will love sewing even more
Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 AM

I recently upgraded from the Symphony to the Crescendo. I am amazed at the difference between the two machines. I bought the Crescendo primarily for the additional throat space. However, other features I am enjoying on the Crescendo include stadium lighting, an auto threader that never misses, and a walking foot that makes quilting a breeze. In the past, I've done more piecing than quilting, but I quilted a large wall hanging this weekend. I used the Serpentine stitch with metallic thread and had no issues. I was amazed at how smoothly the fabric fed under the walking foot. I'm finding that the Crescendo is so easy to use that I'm sewing a lot more.

Good luck with your decision.