Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense?  Help! >

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:54 PM

Yes, you will be spending a significant sum on your new machine. But you say you have the $ in hand and you're not having to finance so why not go ahead and get what you want.

A few years ago I needed a vehicle as my previous one had died. I asked my brother to go with me as he is much more vehicle savvy than I could ever hope to be. I was looking at mini vans but he suggested that I might be happier getting an extended cab pickup with a bed cover. There was a rather significant difference in price but he convinced me to go ahead even though I would be financing the difference. 150,000+ miles, several years later and a great deal of hauling more stuff than people (kids all grown) I'm loving my truck and thinking the minivan would never have lasted this long nor done a lot of what I've asked this vehicle to do.

So get that machine you want and enjoy every minute of using it.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I was shopping with my daughter and her then boyfriend. I picked up a pack of proscutto (sp wrong)and he said that it was expensive to buy. I looked at him and said that he looked at things wrong, you should asked yourself, if you bills are paid so that you can afford it and then are you worth it. If nothing else, the second question should always be yes. That's what I did when I got my Viking, each time. They normally have no interest and low payments so that took care of the affording things. I'm 60 and I've done without most of my life, growing up I did without because of an alcoholic father and I went without while my kids were growing up, now its my time. So if I can get something that I want, then I do it.
A very good point of view ,get the one , the best and you will LOVE the Babylock , I do and be happy.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:57 AM

I spent months agonising over buying my Janome 7700 as my retirement present to myself - and have never regretted it for a moment. It made quilting so much more enjoyable. Do a thorough road test, and if you're happy and you can afford it - why not?
Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by annie123 View Post
I would say that if you want it and can afford it you should get what you want. that said I personally would rather have substance over gimmicks and would buy the best quality in a machine rather than "bells and whistles" Laser lights and pens and funny sounding feet aren't something I would waste money on. Remember that Brother has a long reputation as a poor quality machine., flash is cheap but for that kind of money I would buy a reputable machine that will go the distance and be reliable.
I am going to take issue with this part of this statement. Brother Does not have a long reputation as a poor quality machine. Period. Brother has been building sewing machines for almost 100 years and were the very first builders of commercial embroidery machines. They know how to build sewing machines. If they didn't they would not build machines for Babylock. Yes, they have some low end machines to sell at the big box stores. People can turn their nose up at those machines however, there are people who buy machines from those stores not knowing there are actual sewing machine dealers - reason being they are so few and far between - and they are perfectly happy with their Brother machine because Brother is not going to put poorly performing machines in stores that also sell their office machines - it would be very counter productive. Those big box store machines may be built to a certain price point but each one will perform the functions it is designed to do - within the limitations of the skill of the user. There is nothing wrong with a Brother machine or a Babylock built by Brother.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:24 AM

I understand why you it is hard for you to spend the money on what you think is for yourself..but really it is for you to be able to give happiness and love to others. You are worth it and if they have no interest loan definitely go for it..
Who knows this new machine and the new possibilities may open new doors to friendship and learning options that you have not even thought about!!
Life is to be lived and enjoyed.... Mind you I am not saying don't pay the house payment, buy food or clothing be sensible but if the payment method is no interest and the machine is what you want .... enjoy!
Hugs
quiltinmama
Old 04-01-2015, 03:35 AM

Well?? Did you buy yet??
Sandy
Old 04-01-2015, 03:58 AM

Besides you really want the machine, let look at what you do with it. You quilt for others (family and self) and you sew for other family members too. Just think how much this would cost if you had to purchase the items already made, or pay someone else to do them. Making children clothing is a great help and makes you proud when they wear what you have made. Go for it girl, you have justified the purchase.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:09 AM

I'm with Tartan, go for it, I bought an embroidery machine on sale for $4200 and I love it. It's only money and you can't take it with you. I work for it, and I wanted it and I bought it and I PLAY with it. Did I mention I LOVE this Brother machine I also have a collection of sewing machine but my heart is my featherweight that I use all the time to sew and I have a quilting machine.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Life is short and there are no pockets in shrouds...... Buy the best machine you can afford - and enjoy it!
Definately buy what you want! I wanted a Bernina for years, and finally bought it. The joy it gave me was worth every penny. However, earlier this year the frequent repairs became a problem, so I bought a new Pfaff. I am 83 years old; a friend asked, "Why do you want to buy a new machine at your age?" My answer was simply, "Because I like to sew!"
So--my advice is buy the one you want!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:06 AM

When I bought my machine 10 years ago, the sales lady said "do you want the second wife to have it" I Bought IT
Hehe