Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taking pictures in quilt stores >

taking pictures in quilt stores

taking pictures in quilt stores

Old 04-01-2015, 02:44 AM

First of all, I think the salesperson handled the situation very poorly. Next time, before you take out your phone, ask for a sample of the fabric. If they say they don't do that, ask if you can take a picture. They should be able to handle that situation. You should not have to explain you intentions to employees in a shop. You are the customer and the customer is always right...if they want to stay in business.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:38 AM

While I am sure that it is difficult to run a store now I am also sure that treating your customer well is not a new notion.
I often take pictures of things in stores to help remember them. I would be very offended if I was accused of that whatever someone else has done.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:59 AM

This gal needs to remember that the customer is always right and she needs to adjust to the "new age" of what all these phones will do. If the shop doesn't want pictures taken, they've got to figure out how they are going to handle that with some tact. Such attitude as this person exhibited, doesn't invite shoppers back to the place! As to buying because you like it--I can't do that unless it's a blender or something that will go with everything. The only places I do that is WM or JA's because of the prices there and nowadays even that doesn't always work as their prices are going up, too. Or I buy a yardage that turns out to be not quite enough and by then it's gone! As others have pointed out, if you go back for more, the dye lot on another bolt may not be identical to what you purchased.

Sorry. I fault the person who approached the shopper on this one. Vinegar is good only for cleaning!--or it also works to sour milk.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:59 AM

My quilting friend and I have Facetimed each other from quilt stores to help each other looking for a specific type of fabric. I don't want to buy for someone else without their input. When trying to decide on a special baby quilt for my DGS I took a lot of pictures of fabrics and patterns. The LQS owners were informed what I was doing and even showed me other patterns I might like. I do usually buy local as I really want to keep our local shops in business. I've bought fat quarters and asked for the manufacturer's information as the part I get doesn't always include the needed selvage. When purchasing "on the road" I take a shop business card so I know where I can get more if needed.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:11 AM

If you are not sure, and would like the information ask if you could purchase 1/4th yard or would a sample be available. Some shops will give a small piece to a potential buyer. Also have a small note book for the information from the bolt.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:21 AM

People take pictures of stuff in stores for many different reasons. It's actually none of their business why a picture is being taken. If they want my business they better be pleasant and helpful....period. I don't take many pictures but would have trouble shopping in a store where pictures are not allowed. It implies you are up to no good. Good and helpful service is what makes up for the price. Anything less and I'm out of there.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:22 AM

Yes, it is a good idea to always ask first because the stores are having such a hard time staying in business. Some stores may allow you to take the picture if you are convincing about your motives.

On the other hand, some of these store owners are downright paranoid. I don't like to shop in a store that aggressively assumes that I am out to cheat them. I know of a store in Colorado who won't allow coats in their store in the winter because some people steal items and hide them within their coats. That's silly... theft is part of owning any retail establishment and has to be part of the costs of ownership. This means higher prices for their merchandise which leads to people shopping online. It's sad...
Old 04-01-2015, 04:22 AM

That would be the last time I shopped there. I take pictures often in stores. I immediately send them to family members to let me know while I'm still in the store whether they like something or not. Any store that makes me feel like some kind of criminal for any reason isn't somewhere I'll shop again.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:27 AM

Hi, Shannan
I take pictures in retail type stores, without asking I figure they don't mind as much; but in my local quilt store I always ask and they say no then okay. This is what I do if I get the strange feeling the store minds me taking pictures, I carry a small notebook with me (from dollar tree) and study the quilt and find that one block and home in on it and draw it out and list as much detail as I can.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Maybe I'm unforgiving but if I am treated rudely in a store I usually don't go back. If that were me, I probably would have pointed out that I was just about to spend over $50 but maybe I should shop online instead, where I won't get any attitude.

I can understand why they'd be concerned, but they way they approached it would, for ME at least, have the exact opposite effect of what they were trying to accomplish. In my opinion, brick & mortar stores need to focus on SERVICE, since they aren't going to win if you're only considering price. There needs to be a reason for me to come into the shop, and rude storekeepers, regardless of their reasoning or their assumptions, is a huge turn-off.

If she'd come up politely and asked if she could offer assistance, and maybe said something like, "I noticed you taking a picture, we discourage that because blah blah blah" and been PLEASANT about it I wouldn't mind at all. Especially if they have a sign posted somewhere that I'd missed.

I do see signs now and then, in LQS's that say "Please no pictures". That doesn't bother me a bit, and if I missed the sign or had a brain fart and whipped out my camera I wouldn't feel annoyed if a storekeeper reminded me in a reasonably polite sort of way. But no signs and a huffy employee making assumptions about my motives would be a pretty clear sign for me that this isn't a shop that suits me.
Sewnoma, that is EXACTLY how my husband felt. When we got in the car his reaction was "Well, we won't be going back to that store". It's a pity really because it's the second closest one to home and they had great selection. It's a small store, in a VERY small town so I was actually excited about it, as I grew up in a small town and I love to support businesses small towns". Just prior to that I had picked up a class schedule to perhaps take a class there. Now, i don't think I will and I KNOW my husband won't want to go back.