Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taking pictures in quilt stores >

taking pictures in quilt stores

taking pictures in quilt stores

Old 04-01-2015, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

The store owner ought to know that every fabric she sells can be bought online. But usually when the customer adds shipping costs and the time to wait for it it's more convenient to buy from the store. It's up the store to provide the incentive to buy from them even if the fabric cost more per yard from their shop then online.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:35 AM

Personally, I think errors were made on both sides in this case, clerk and customer alike, and, in my opinion, it simply isn't worth either party holding a grudge forever about a fleeting lapse in judgement made by the other.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:47 AM

[QUOTE=oh munner;7148559]Great idea to buy 3 to 4 yards of fabric just in case you find some project to use it in. However, not everyone can afford to spend $30 to $40 dollars because they may, at some point, find a reason for using the material they've purchased.[/QUO

Precisely!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:53 AM

I don't pay any attention to fabric lines - it's the color and design of the fabric I'm interested in. While this doesn't apply to most LQS merchandise - I do want a picture of the care information on whatever I'm thinking of buying. I lose tags and don't keep insert sheets.

I might take a picture of a finished item just for the treatment of color, or a close up of a block included in a kit so I can augment instructions. Some kits do not provide step by step illustrations.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:41 AM

One more, so many are trying to "got cha". Taking pictures or video of something, they can run home and post online. Usually something not so flattering. I can completely understand why a shop would not want pictures taken. Try not to be upset and don't take it personally.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by tkee View Post
That would be the last time I shopped there. I take pictures often in stores. I immediately send them to family members to let me know while I'm still in the store whether they like something or not. Any store that makes me feel like some kind of criminal for any reason isn't somewhere I'll shop again.

Amen! I haven't been to one LQS in years because of their attitude. It is the largest one in 50 miles and they have absolutely fabulous materials. However, the last time I was there I was browsing looking for something unique. One of the employees kept following me. I finally asked if I could help her. Her response "We have to keep an eye out for shoplifters". Now I normally try to be the bigger person but I did not succeed in that instance. Am I holding a grudge? No. I am simply refusing to shop where I will be treated badly and falsely accused of being a criminal. I think some of these stores need to realize that many are turning to shopping online for the simple fact they won't have to deal with this type of behavior. Customer service is something that is lacking nowadays. There are no shops where I actually live (pop. 1400) so I have to drive everywhere, usually 15-20 min just for groceries. I personally am not going to waste my time and gas driving to a lqs to take a picture of an item I can get online for $1 less. That's just crazy! If you are a small business it is just a simple fact that you have to provide better customer service than the big box stores who charge less for the same item. I believe in supporting a small business if it is a good business and treats it's customers right. Think of a small local restaurant - if they continually served you bad food or got your order wrong every time, would you continue to eat there JUST because it was a local small business? I wouldn't.

Some have said they write the info down instead of taking a picture. What's the difference? I was making a ton of quilted coasters one time and took a pic of the end of the bolt of the muslin I was using so I would remember exactly which one I got seeing as how there were about 10 varieties. It NEVER crossed my mind to ask permission before documenting for future use the material I had used. But, I actually hadn't heard of this practice of taking pics and shopping online for the same fabric until this post.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You'll win over a local businesswoman.
Remember when customer service meant making the customer happy? If she wanted me back in her store, being rude to me is not the way. Someone is owed an appology, and it is not the LQS. They were rude to a customer and you think they deserve a second chance? An attitude like that is why I buy most of my fabric at Walmart. My LQS has been rude to me each of the three times I went there, so I do not go back there. Customer service is not an option when you are in business, it is a requirement! I would be contacting the owner.....and reporting a rude employee, not offering to come buy more fabric. That is the owners job, to keep customers happy. Otherwise, why is she in business? A local businesswoman needs me, I have other options, she wants my money, customer service is how I decide who to buy from. I may not be the biggest spender she has, but my dollar can either go in her pocket, or Walmart's, her choice.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:46 AM

I respect business owners' policies and if she objected to you taking photos of her inventory, I guess that's her right. What if you had simply made a note of the fabric instead?

Having said that, I think her remark was quite rude, not to mention defensive, and that attitude would keep me from giving her future business. I have no patience with people in professional settings not behaving in a professional manner. I think they should keep in mind that there are plenty of other places to shop.

Just my two cents.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
Yes, it is a good idea to always ask first because the stores are having such a hard time staying in business. Some stores may allow you to take the picture if you are convincing about your motives.

On the other hand, some of these store owners are downright paranoid. I don't like to shop in a store that aggressively assumes that I am out to cheat them. I know of a store in Colorado who won't allow coats in their store in the winter because some people steal items and hide them within their coats. That's silly... theft is part of owning any retail establishment and has to be part of the costs of ownership. This means higher prices for their merchandise which leads to people shopping online. It's sad...
This reminds me of when we went to Harrods in London several years ago. A sign on the door said "no backpacks" and so my son and I went all the way back to our hotel so he could leave his backpack, which he normally wore everywhere because it held his camera. When we got back to Harrods and went inside -- sans backpacks -- half the shoppers were wearing backpacks! Signs are for those who will comply, I suppose.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

I haven't taken photos of the fabric, I have taken photos of a finished quilts that hang in the shops. I always ask and inform them of my intentions mainly the size of the block or pattern. I have asked about certain patterns and templates which they had no clue. The point is to always ask for permission. One of our LQSs was robbed of 10 bolts from the front of the store a few months back. Now if you want a photo, they take the photo and email it to you. You never see photos of the complete store. For good reason.