Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't Wait >

Don't Wait

Don't Wait

Old 04-03-2015, 09:30 AM

Default Don't Wait

I recently was gifted several thousands of dollars worth of material, rulers, and other quilt supplies from a friend who lost her sight due to macular degeneration. We met and became close friends as a result of meeting via this quilting board. While I certainly delighted with the good fortune, I am very saddened by my friends loss of sight, and how her life will change. Recently someone posted about choosing your last five quilts you would like to make. This is such timely advice! It really hit home. Please don't wait.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:37 AM

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I already have a goal of making at least one quilt for all of the people I love before I go or lose my eyesight

OMG how heartbreaking it would be to not be able to quilt anymore.

Again, I'm sorry to hear your friend is losing her eyesight
Old 04-03-2015, 11:23 AM

I agree, we always think we have forever to do the things we want but tomorrow is never promised. Its one of the reasons I purchased my dreamweaver. I just didn't want to wait anymore for a nice machine I want to enjoy it now while I can. I even just purchased supplies for my babies wedding quilt. She is only five but sometimes you just never know what will happen in life.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:23 AM

Sorry about your friend. Maybe you can make her a special quilt with her fabrics. My BFF had a massive stroke and passed away 5 years later. I "inherited" some of her stash - after her husband spent 2 days burning her fabrics, etc. after she finally died - I have written this story on here several times. So sad. All that I rescued was fabric that he missed in two of her closets that were in boxes and totes. He burned everything that was on bolts in bookcases in her sewing room.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:16 PM

I'm sorry for your friend. Perhaps together you could find a way to make it possible for her to still quilt.
I'm thinking you could cut and match up squares or half square triangles that she could sew by hand, using touch to keep to a straight seam line. If you threaded a set of needles for her and had them layed out in a pin cushion. Or got her the needles that the thread snaps into the eye so she could thread them herself. Not nearly as satisfying as what she used to do but perhaps better than nothing.
Just something to think about.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:40 PM

So true! My sister's dream was to open her own quilt shop when she retired. Well, during her colon cancer treatments, she lost her eye sight, so even though she was not working anymore, she could not quilt either. She lost her battle at age 58.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:17 PM

Please enjoy your friend's gift. I also have AMD and who knows how long I have left to sew. I sew every day because I can right now and I thank God for another day that I can sew. Some days are better than others for sure. I have plans for all of my stash when the time comes for me to quit sewing. I want to give it to other who will use it to brighten the lives of others by charitable work. I am sorry about the entry above where a husband burned fabric. Uncounted losses to be sure in lots of ways.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:43 PM

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...lter%20youtube

I cannot remember where I first saw this quilter.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

I work with a lot of women and they are always amazed that I quilt. This group is of the kind that say "When I retire", when I this and when I that. When I ask them what kind of things they do, the answer is always nothing. They either think they have no time or space or could never do"that". It would be an awful way to live for me.

It makes me a little sad that they have never found how to fill their lives with beauty and are just waiting for the right moment to start doing something, which they never will.

The right time is now to do the things you want to do. Live like there is no tomorrow. Fill it with love.
peace
Old 04-03-2015, 03:46 PM

That's terribly sad for your friend, and a good reminder for all of us. I've had a couple of those in the last 6 weeks as TWO people from the school I work in passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. One had a bacterial infection that his body could not fight off, the other was killed when snow from his room fell on him. Enjoy today; you don't know what might be around the corner.

Still, once your friend has adjusted to her new reality, I believe it will give her some joy to know that you are using some of her precious quilting things. Maybe you could make something and donate it to an organization that is special to her.

Thank you for reminding us to work on doing things that we might be putting off.