Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Owners of new machines >

Owners of new machines

Owners of new machines

Old 01-09-2010, 12:45 PM

I treated myself a year ago to a Bernina Aurora 440 QE. What I great machine! After years of Husqvarnas and the tension problems, I took the advice of a friend and tried the Bernina. This is the machine for life. I didn't need the embroidery machine, since all the kids and grandkids are grown but QE still cost a pretty penny. Worth every cent!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:10 PM

Got a 1927 singer treadle machine.........it WORKS !!!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 PM

I got the Bernina 630E platinum quilters edition. My girlfriend and I both bought one. We wanted to embroider larger designs as well as sew and quilt. Haven't had time to play with it like I wanted to because both my husband and I got sick right after Christmas. Just now getting better. Made an investment for life. Should not have to ever buy another machine. She has had her old one for 20 years and loves it, but was ready to move up......
Old 01-10-2010, 01:20 PM

Our machines are special to each of us QBeth. My 1985 Bernina 930 is a workhorse that I can take apart piece by piece to clean or repair. Can't do that with the new ones anymore. However when I go to take a quilting class, I take a little lightweight $129 Brother from WalMart. It doesn't do much but sew straight and it makes a lot more noise, but I love it for special reasons, too.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:10 PM

I also have a Janome 6600 - so much better than almost any machine! :D
Old 01-10-2010, 06:52 PM

I got a Bernina 430 with my Christmas Bonus. Love love love it! It works like a dream.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:56 PM

Don't know anything about Pfaff. I just got a Janome Memory Craft 6600P. Many people recommended it and it has been a dream come true. Too many great things to list here. Just know that it is the best.
judee
Old 01-10-2010, 08:51 PM

I drooled over the Brother pr-900 yesterday...on sale for 700.00 , I couldn't find a on line site today where they listed any prices for this one.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 AM

I have 2 Pfaffs - Quilt Expression and Grand Quilter and they are just fabulous. They are set up in my room and don't move - they are very heavy. So for classes I bought a Janome Jem - fine for carrying but the seam allowances don't match up. Anything I start in classes I either have to finish on the jem or start again on the pffaf. Last class I used scraps and uglies as samples and did all the stages of the pattern - New york Beauty - and then cut my batiks to work on at home. That worked very well - no waste, well hardly any! It me a few attempts to get the idea of foundation piecing in class and I was very glad that wasn't my precious batiks. oops sorry I've gone on a bit!!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by ladygen
Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by ladygen
Hubby got me the Singer Confidence Quilter - I know, so not up to the caliber so many of you are at, but it's WAY better than my $100 WalMart Singer!
Step by step, machine by machine, we all progress. I don't know how old your avatar is but it looks like you're a mother of at least one youngster. Thinking back to when I was your age, I was using my Pfaff Hobby machine. Not fancy, only 15 stitches but, then again, my skill level matched it. I still have that machine and love it just as much as when I bought it.

Your husband is very sweet to buy you a sewing machine! When you outgrow it, maybe your youngster will want it?!!
He might want it.. but it'll probably go to someone who will use it more immediately than he will - my avatar is just over a year old - my son was 1 in the picture, now he's 2 1/2. I have a feeling I'll outgrow it long before he wants a machine of his own! Yes, my husband is VERY sweet to buy me a machine, and I'm having so very much fun with it! It's even quiet enough to have a conversation over!
Your son is very cute! I was trying to be non-prejudicial/non-sexist?? when I suggested he might want the machine. There are all sorts of reasons why the younger types, boys & girls, might need a sewing machine (e.g., 4-H?). IMHO, I think it's important that children be exposed to "crafty" people, just like it's important (again, IMHO) that they be exposed to pets. Both so enrich our lives. Your little boy is a lucky little guy to have you and your husband as examples!