Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Moving my fabric & sewing rooms >

Moving my fabric & sewing rooms

Moving my fabric & sewing rooms

Old 04-07-2015, 06:49 AM

Quilty-Louise,
If it makes you feel any better, I have an entire room that has floor to ceiling shelves along 2 walls that are filled with fabrics. Then I have large tubs full of more fabrics..and more than 3 (that's all I'm copping to) large boxes that are full.
The walls are all organized. The rest, um, well...
At least I've started going through a lot of it..donating some and I am selling stuff...lol
Just tackle yours the same way that old saying about eating an elephant goes, "One bite at a time.".
Kif
Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

You could take some of the scraps and make doggie/kitty bedding for local animal shelter. I have comic book boards and I keep them at my table. While watching tv I just fold them and put them on the shelf or into the container. I don't always take an iron to them, sometimes just a hand press like folding towels. They kind of press themselves while stacked on top or next to each other.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:21 AM
Banned

I got another scrap bin sorted last night after dinner.
Hope to do at least 1 bin a night more if I don't get
to sleepy and call it quits.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:33 AM

If I am having a creative lull I find the sorting and fondling to be inspiring.Have fun sorting that can be such fun too.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:40 AM

I am amazed at the amount of fabric that some of you gals have!! I have been fortunate in that I have purchased some scraps, fabric and selvedges from some Board members. I have some yardage, but most of it is scraps. I do not have any sewing/quilting friends close to where I live, so there is no one to help me go through what I have. My daughter also quilts but she's 130 miles from here, some of my fabrics and things things in my life that my time and efforts, so ------ well, I'm so grateful for what I have. Being a perfectionist doesn't help things along. I seem to want to sort, press, and organize, and then change my mind and want to reorganize. Aye yi yi, poor me. Will be watching to see the process you're making. I've book marked this page so that I can follow and see your progress. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:32 AM

Great guy!!
Old 04-07-2015, 02:58 PM

It's a shame you're so far away. I below to a charity quilt group who takes donated quilt fabric. We made more than 300 lap and baby quilts last year. We give them to hospitals, nursing homes, new Mom's at the Air Force Base in our area, unwed Mother's and anyone in our community who is in need. A smile on a recieptance face can truly brighten you day. Good luck with your huge job!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Banned

So far I have sorted 4 bins of fabric, with about 3-4 more to go.
But in my (not so bright) wisdom those bins got buried behind
MANY MANY other bins of yardage.

So now one to the "divide and conquer" of yardage and work my
way through the mess.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:04 AM

I'm totally floored! I thought having about 12 boxes of fabric was a lot, then I see your stash.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:21 PM

Oh my gosh, this happened to me. When my daughter and her two children moved out, I decided to revamp my sewing room so I could move in at least two directions. When all the fabric bins, dressers for storage of craft supplies and other storage bins full of fabric, kits, UFOs, etc got moved, it took up two bedrooms. Don't know how I was ever able to accomplish anything in that crowded sewing room.