Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Keep Your Ironing Board Fresh? >

How Do You Keep Your Ironing Board Fresh?

How Do You Keep Your Ironing Board Fresh?

Old 04-08-2015, 06:13 PM

Have you tried Fabreeze? I don't know if that would work but it's worth a try. I never had a smelly ironing board cover.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:06 AM

[QUOTE=CAS49OR;7158170]It's not mildewed. I just washed it about a week ago. It gets the smell from fabric on it. I dislike any smells and pre-wash quilting fabric and donated all the fabric I can't get fabric softeners or perfumes out of.

I ironed some of my husbands clothes, and voila, the smell is back. I know now why estate sales and thrift stores have "that" smell, it's because the detergents and softeners and perfumes get rancid after a while.

I use odor free Tide but it is going to take a while to get all the smells out of the clothes. It just gets stuck in there after a while. I emptied my whole closet and used "sanitize" to get rid of that estate smell! I haven't emptied his whole closet yet though -- I'm waiting for him to choose which clothes he wants to keep. I'm going to use a towel over the ironing board for his stuff from now on.

It is just hard to take all the staples out to wash my ironing board so I'm hoping for some spray on odor remover other than vinegar to use on a daily basis.[/QUOTE

You say remove staples? Does that mean you are ironing on a piece of covered wood? Or particle board? If so, they contain formaldyhide or some other chems along with a glue. Perhaps that is your problem........oh my, to have to wash all clothes in closet sounds a bit drastic....
Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 AM

It it something you could drag outside and put in the sun? Sometimes a nice radiation bath from Mr. Sun will help get rid of funky smells.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:00 AM

I worry Febreeze might scorch or leave something on the fabric. My ironing board does not STINK. The sewing room just smells "damp" sometimes instead of fresh. I guess musty isn't a very good description. I don't use steam in my iron, I just mist the cloth with unscented Best Press. I'm just really sensitive to odors and do not want it to get stinky.

My original question is if there is a way to KEEP it fresh smelling.

I am really sensitive to odors, and allergic to many.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:05 AM

I own 2 covers. I wash them. They are not the usual cotton type as I have a Pfaff board that draws steam through like a Laurastar. I don't use anything that smells on them. The biggest problem is cat hair. The cats like to sleep on the ironing board every now and then. I have also slopped glue or sizing on them. The board is also a very different size from the standard ones, so I can't make one since I can't identify the fabric or even find it.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Depending on how bad the material/fabric/clothes is from estate sales, I use ammonia and Arm and Hammer washing soda in with my laundry detergent. I let it soak and sometimes wash it a second time. I always use more water. If the load is small I set the cycle to medium. I never put a large load in. I will divide it into 2 loads. That way the water can circulate better. Always in hot water. I don't have a clothes line but do have a couple saw horses and place a couple old window screens so the fabric can dry in the sun. One day after I placed the clothes/fabric on the screens I left. It rained. I thought what the heck. best thing for those pieces. They were soft and when I hit them with a hot iron, it was pure freshness like the good old days when you put laundry on the line. If you have a clothes line hang the pieces out on that line. I would change the ironing surface also to be sure. You could also try a pillow case and see what the smell is off that. If your husband and yourself wear perfumes and it's on your clothes I would wash them in A&H washing soda and detergent with ammonia or vinegar.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
I worry Febreeze might scorch or leave something on the fabric. My ironing board does not STINK. The sewing room just smells "damp" sometimes instead of fresh. I guess musty isn't a very good description. I don't use steam in my iron, I just mist the cloth with unscented Best Press. I'm just really sensitive to odors and do not want it to get stinky.

My original question is if there is a way to KEEP it fresh smelling.

I am really sensitive to odors, and allergic to many.
Sounds to me like if it's the ​room that's smelling damp, you might want to consider investing in a dehumidier.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:29 AM

I've never had one go musty smelling and my sewing room is in the basement. I used to spray starch while I ironed but that left a film on it so now I dip my fabrics for starching and let them hang over the sink to dry. I do go thru ironing board covers regularly though and in need of a new one. Thinking of making my own this time since finding so many instructions on how to do it.

I have used vinegar and water in a spray bottle to mist down my shower thats in the basement too as I keep my door shut in the winter time to keep the heat inside. Nothing like going into a freezing cold shower.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
I've been misting mine with vinegar and leaving the fan on overnight, but it doesn't always work. It smells musty when I come in the next day.

I have a desk size ironing board with the top fabric stapled in place over ironing board fabric so it is not easy to remove it to wash it.

Are there any ODOR FREE methods to get rid of the smell that won't leave a residue on the cloth that will transfer to my quilts or scorch?
I have never heard of keeping the ironing board fresh. If the cover gets soiled, I wash it and put it back on the board. Sometimes I will sew batting together and make a new "cushion" for under the cover. I assumed that my ironing board was always fresh - it doesn't smell or anything! Edie
Old 04-10-2015, 03:31 AM

Maybe drying it completely with a hair dryer would work.