Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron suggestions... >

Iron suggestions...

Iron suggestions...

Old 04-08-2015, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I like my Black and Decker Digital Advantage.
I second this. I've had one for almost 9 years and it still works great; best iron I ever had. It does have an automatic shut off, but it heats up again very fast.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:18 PM

I have had the Rowenta Promaster D8080 for two years now and love it. Gets really hot fast and tons of steam! A little heavy though.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:39 PM

Any suggestions for "DRY" irons? I never use steam and want a good, basic dry iron. I've seen some online, but don't know much about them (Continental brand?). The only possible drawback is the weight of a dry iron. Anyone?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Any suggestions for "DRY" irons? I never use steam and want a good, basic dry iron. I've seen some online, but don't know much about them (Continental brand?). The only possible drawback is the weight of a dry iron. Anyone?
Any iron can be a dry iron until or unless you put water in it. I have three irons--a Rowenta that I love and two Black and Decker that I love also. Got one of the B&D at a church garage sale for $5. The other came from WalMart years and years ago. froggyintexas
Old 04-09-2015, 09:51 AM

I LOVE STEAM, and I never understand how someone can sew and not use steam. I believe steam is such an important feature to quilting and accuracy. I really don't know many sewers whom don't. I have hand issues so the weight of the iron is an important feature for me (the lighter the better). I know I once had a Rowenta and it was soo heavy. Now I look for an iron that is light, has a large water well, and great steam. Obviously, you would be looking for something different. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2015, 10:49 AM

Anyone know of an iron you can buy today that doesn't shut off after so many minutes. Nothing drives me more crazy then when I go to press the iron is off again and I have to wait for it heat up.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:41 AM

The only iron I have found that doesn't have an auto shut-off is a Black & Decker that I bought at the Family Dollar store for $10.00. It was very light weight, got plenty hot & had steam. Didn't have a very big water well though. After 4 years it finally quit working and had to throw it away. When I went to buy another one, they were all out, so I haven't replaced it yet. So, you might check the $ stores in your area and see what you can find.
I am dreaming of an Oliso. I have asked for one for my birthday coming up later in the month.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

The older Black and Decker Classic does not have the auto shut off. The Continental dry iron will not last over a year maybe two. It will just quit working. I have had two go out after a year. I dropped my new Rowenta and now it leaks so I use it for fusing. Most stores won't sell an iron without an auto shut off, they can be sued if the house burns down. No joke. DH has taken several irons apart and knows how the auto shut off works so I guess he could disable it for me but right now my Classic Black and Decker is going strong. I bought several of the $9 irons at General Dollar and they get hot but too lightweight for me.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:18 PM

[h=1]I bought the Rowenta DW9280 Steam Focus Steam Iron from Amazon.com and have been so pleased with it. It produces an unbelievable amount of steam and doesn't seem too heavy. I just LOVE this iron.[/h]