Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Watch this video. Red ball on seam ripper!!!! >

Watch this video. Red ball on seam ripper!!!!

Watch this video. Red ball on seam ripper!!!!

Old 04-09-2015, 06:43 AM

Thank you. I can't wait to try it.
Where can I find that seam ripper??
Old 04-10-2015, 05:09 AM

I bought this seam ripper after seeing this video on the board before. I love it! I can't believe how much time it saves and how much easier. It's not cheap but worth ever penny. Thanks board.
Mia
Old 04-10-2015, 05:26 AM

WOW! You've helped turn on a light bulb all over the world! Can't wait to order one of these. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:12 AM
mac

Originally Posted by pdriggs View Post
I think those of use who started out sewing garments--say 50 years ago!--were taught about the red ball in home ec. I see a lot of quilters who have never sewn garments. Those long seams in a garment would be a bear without the ball!
Phyllis
I had to watch the video without sound, but got the gist of the tutorial since I have ripped like this for decades. I, too, learned this from home ec class in high school over 50 years ago.

Although this is a great way to rip seams, be careful, over the years I have had a couple accidents doing this method, such as, if you are ripping a long seam and are going the speed of light zipping right along, if you get too many threads (cut threads) caught in the seam ripper, the seam ripper can "jump" and you can cut into the seam. I've done this twice in my lifetime.

One thing that I did notice is that she folded the seam open before she started ripping, this may help with that problem, as I always rippied with the seam folded flat.

Also, I have one of those brass seam rippers, I purchased it about a decade ago when they were much cheaper than they are now and it works like any other seam ripper. I usually use a Clover or Fons & Porter seam ripper and they work great with this method. One of the advantages with the Fons and Porter seam ripper is that you can use the red end of the ripper like an eraser and it will help pull the extra threads that are left in the seam after ripping.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:30 AM

I got attracted to watch the video when Sew Freak said she "couldn't wait to rip out another seam again!" That caught me. So, I watched the video and I never knew that either!! Going to have to give that a try. I have been using one of those scalpel looking blades which works well also, but have also accidentally put holes in stuff (not good!) Thank you for bringing this up. :-)

Marysewfun
Old 04-11-2015, 05:53 AM

Yes, if I buy the fancy ripper, that would be the one I really lose!, but it's so tempting......
Old 04-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

S0 THAT is what the red ball is for! Thank you for posting this.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:52 AM

Thanks for sharing. I learn something new just about every time I get on the board. I needed this hint yesterday when I was ripping out a rather long seam.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 PM

I have seen this post sitting here since 8th April and have only now just clicked on to view.

I have to say my loss for not looking sooner. You learn something new everyday.

Thanks for posting the link.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:07 AM

Thank you for posting! Glad to learn this!