Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you respond to this? >

How would you respond to this?

How would you respond to this?

Old 04-11-2015, 02:20 AM
Administrator

hmmmmm ...

she might not have offered to pay because she already knows she should - and will - pay. there might not be an issue here.
the fact that she wants to attend in order to support her friend is not a sure sign that she assumes she can be there gratis. or that she plans to act as an assistant.

your classes are a business operation.
give her two copies of the class schedule, tool & supplies list, fee and payment deadline.
"one for you, the other for your friend."

this is just a thought. can you afford to offer her a small discount on the class fee as a thank-you for bringing a new student into the fold? not something you should feel obligated to do, but it might take away your worry about offending her.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
hmmmmm ...

she might not have offered to pay because she already knows she should - and will - pay. there might not be an issue here.
the fact that she wants to attend in order to support her friend is not a sure sign that she assumes she can be there gratis. or that she plans to act as an assistant.

your classes are a business operation.
give her two copies of the class schedule, tool & supplies list, fee and payment deadline.
"one for you, the other for your friend."

this is just a thought. can you afford to offer her a small discount on the class fee as a thank-you for bringing a new student into the fold? not something you should feel obligated to do, but it might take away your worry about offending her.
Best answer so far.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:51 AM

I'm an introvert, but I really wanted to learn how to quilt. I didn't know a soul when I started my beginning class, but I had a grand time and really enjoyed everyone in the class. I've taken quite a few classes now & had a great time at all of them. I made a good friend there and we took several more together & even "campaigned" with former classmates to get the minimum signed up so the class would make. I enjoy them more if there are maybe half a dozen people rather than twelve or fifteen, but also know it is better for my teacher and the shop than when just the minimum sign up. If your friend's friend really want to do this she'll come without someone to "hold her hand."
Old 04-11-2015, 03:45 AM

Patrice's idea of offering a discount would be a great way to open the conversation - "i didn't think to mention it the other day, but if you attend with someone you've referred you get a 10% discount!". If she indicates she won't be paying that's your cue to say you're sorry, but you can't allow that because others have taken advantage in the past and you've had to put a stop to it. That way you can bring it up in a positive way and address the "but others have done. it" issue up front, while blaming your new rule on the others who have taken advantage. Let us know how it works out!
Old 04-11-2015, 03:53 AM

You said this has happened in the past--was this woman in one of your past classes that had an unpaid visitor? If so you may be stuck based on that precedence if you don't want to offend her. If not, I think I would be upfront with her and tell her you have a rule against unpaid visitors in your class because of these past experiences and explain what you had happen with them. Tell her you appreciate her concern for her shy friend and will make an extra effort to make her feel welcome and introduce her to others in the class. Then leave it that if she wants to buy a seat in the class she is welcome to do do based on availability.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
You second paragraph says it nicely. Have it printed and included in announcement of class at sigh up time. I would also post it in the class room. Don't these people know they are offending you, by questioning your ability to teach the class and questioning their friends ability to be adults in an adult learning environment?
I agree that the second paragraph would be great to include with the class announcement. I nix the paying suggestion. She is not a beginner and will still be distracting and putting her 2 cents worth in. I signed up a couple years ago for a beginning bridge class. The teacher was a volunteer. Well, there were several students in the class who had played bridge a few years before. They kept interrupting the teacher and overriding what she was saying. She did it for two weeks and then quit. Those non-beginners did it belong there!
Old 04-11-2015, 04:22 AM

Oh, Audrey, I hate that this has happened to you again. I know one of your beginning classes starts today. I hope it isn't today's class and that you have time to figure out what you want to do.

Dina
Old 04-11-2015, 04:44 AM

You may end up dealing with her for this class. In the future you could possibly put on the bottom of your class hand outs and sign up sheet: Due to limited class size and the nature of the instruction no Guests are permitted in the class room.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:53 AM

Thanks, everyone, for some good ideas. Dina, this is for the class that starts next Saturday.

I said that it has happened twice before. The first time, the lady told me she was going to come help. I politely told her I didn't need help and I never saw her in class again. The second time it was an elderly lady who had already taken the class who came to help her elderly arthritic sister to cut fabric (though I gave fabric cutting instructions before class). They were so far ahead of everyone else it caused problems. The current lady of concern is a friend of the two elderly ladies.

She lives about 15 minutes from here. My current thinking is to ask her to come with her friend for a short time to get her comfortable then to leave and pick her up at the end of the day. (It is a 6-hour class) Or, if she wants to stay and take the class she can have a discount for the referral.

I'm still pondering and welcome additional ideas.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:07 AM

Where is the class being held? If it is a LQS or some place like that---you could say it is their policy. I think the 10 per cent discount is perfect.