Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uh-Oh, Something Went Wrong >

Uh-Oh, Something Went Wrong

Uh-Oh, Something Went Wrong

Old 01-10-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by MaryA
When I look at your photo, I see stitching on the right side of your block. None of the stitching should be showing on the right side of the block.
I think that maybe you've had trouble working out how to do foundation piecing all by yourself - I would think that most people have someone demonstrate it for them. I know that I had trouble understanding how to pin the fabric on the unprinted side of the paper, flip the paper over, and sew on the printed line.
There are lots of sites on the internet that might help - the one below looks useful.

http://www.wikihow.com/Foundation-Piece-a-Quilt-Block
Thanks MaryA,
I've bookmarked the website. I know I'll have to refer to it quite often. :lol:
Old 01-11-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by MaryA
When I look at your photo, I see stitching on the right side of your block.
I think she has already quilted the block. Looks to me like there is batting at the edge.
I was trying the 'quilt as you go method' on a practice square. Once the square was finished, I thought I might as well try 'stitch in the ditch'. Neither were successful, but today my practice pieces are looking a tad better. :oops:
I think you're wrong! I think your first attempt was very successful!! Many of us probably think back to our first attempts and cringe - but we've all got to start somewhere. And, frankly, that block you posted looks pretty darn good to me!

My grandmother recently gave me a precious family quilt - my great grandmother and great-great aunt pieced it, and my grandmother was allowed to add a few stitches when they quilted the top. She was 8 or 9, she says. I was reminded that once upon a time girls learned to sew very early - many boys, too. So some of us these days are a little bit behind when it comes to the basics. We shouldn't beat ourselves up for it! Quite the opposite, I'd say. It takes some bravery to start learning a new skill.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by jenimelinda
It takes some bravery to start learning a new skill.
How true! Twisted, you are doing a great job. Keep at it, and things get better. As our mothers were wont to say, "Practice makes perfect." So don't be put off by the first try.

Welcome to the board - where we ALL are learners in this great activity!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 AM

Okay ladies and gents this is my 90th attempt at a 7"square. It's amazing what happens when you add the 1/4" for seam allowance. I'm still a little crooked, but improving. I'm using practice fabric because this 'beginners pattern' is not going as smoothly as I thought.

BTW, is the presser foot suppose to move a little or should it be stiff? This might be part of my problem. :P

90th attempt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61186[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-61186.jpe
Views:	16
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	61186  
Old 01-14-2010, 01:46 PM

WooHooooo! A few errors, but definitely better. Maybe another week of practice before I move on. :thumbup:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-61435.jpe
Views:	53
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	61435  
Old 01-14-2010, 02:10 PM

Wow! Your log cabin blocks are coming on very well!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 PM

How cool! You're making amazing progress.

Is your presser foot wobbling side to side (i.e. left to right)? If so, you may need to tighten it on the machine,depending,of course, on the particular machine you've got.

I really love the white background paisley material in these blocks. Where did you pick that one up?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:36 AM

Beautiful blocks!!!!!

You are doing a wonderful job. It does take time. (I have never considered the log cabin a beginners block, because of the many seams.)

I agree about the paisley print - it's great. I'd like to find some of that!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by jenimelinda
How cool! You're making amazing progress.

Is your presser foot wobbling side to side (i.e. left to right)? If so, you may need to tighten it on the machine,depending,of course, on the particular machine you've got.

I really love the white background paisley material in these blocks. Where did you pick that one up?
I got all my practice material from a lady who wanted to get rid of some of her leftovers. I think she's had them for quite a while as they smelled a little moldy, but great for practice pieces :shock:

Thanks for the support!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Beautiful blocks!!!!!

You are doing a wonderful job. It does take time. (I have never considered the log cabin a beginners block, because of the many seams.)

I agree about the paisley print - it's great. I'd like to find some of that!
Wow...should I switch to a different pattern for my first quilt or stick with the log cabin? My second choice was Warm Wishes.

Oh, the material was given to me. I think she had it quite a while as it smells a little moldy, but perfect for practicing!