Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will I be able to quilt a queen size quilt >

Will I be able to quilt a queen size quilt

Will I be able to quilt a queen size quilt

Old 04-11-2015, 12:40 PM

Sure you will! I've done a large queen on my DSM, just did straight line serpentine stitch, but got it done. It was not easy, I use thin 80/20 batting, glue basted, rolled it to be able to start in center, used large safety pins to help hold it into roll. I also have a folding banquet table that is my sewing/cutting table, I cleared it off, pulled it up to left side to hold weight of quilt. Also have a hospital overbed table behind my machine that is perfect to catch it as you feed it through, and also helps a lot with holding the wieght of it.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:23 PM

I have done it several times and have tried several methods. I always STID around all of the squares and borders. I also stitch 1/8 inch around the outside perimeter of the quilt. Then, because there will be no more shifting I cut away all the outside excess. Then I begin my quilting within each square of section. I work on one square at a time and it does not matter if I start in the middle or somewhere else because of the stabilization at the beginning. Kings and queens are possible with a bit of planning.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the help.
Now i,m feeling better about doing it .
Tom
Old 04-12-2015, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

It is doable. You just have to have support for the quilt on your left side and support behind the sewing machine. This is to prevent the weight of the quilt tugging while you are quilting. I quilted my avatar using my Bernina 1530 which is a queen size quilt. Wish you had posted a photo. Start from the center and work outwards.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:12 AM

I'm reading this knowing I need this information also. I've only hand quilted my queen sized quilts for this exact reason. So I'm excited to see the different ways to do this. Has anyone ever tried the method Kwiltr talks about? If I understood it right you only put batting in the middle section, then quilt that before adding more batting to the other outside sections so that while you are quilting the middle you only have fabric on the outside. I've never heard of doing this before but it sounds like it would work. The only thing is you would have to use batting tape or sew batting in and pin/spray (or whatever) to baste and quilt like 3 times before you got it all done right? It sounds like much more work this way, but probably doable. Has anyone else ever actually tried this? I'm getting ready to do a bigger quilt and would love to do it on the machine. Maybe this is the best way?
Old 04-12-2015, 08:36 AM

So my understanding is that you cut your batten in 3 pieces put the centre one in first and quilt it all . Then put the 2nd piece in and sew the batten together fold my top and back back over it pin it and quilt it .
And not really quilt all the way to the edge on my first piece so I can sew the batten together.
It,s all straight sticking so thats one good thing.
I attacked a picture for you ManiacQuilter2.[ATTACH=CONFIG]516679[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]516680[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1929.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	516679   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1928.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	516680  
Old 04-13-2015, 04:37 AM

I quilt queen/king size on a Viking Sapphire 870Q and the setup that has made it a joy to machine quilt is the pulley type clamps hung from the ceiling. http://pieceocakeblog.com/2013/09/22...pulley-system/. I have mine hanging from a normal height ceiling, ordered the clamps from Home Depot and got the "jacket cord pulls" from JoAnn's with a coupon. Had some leftover drapery cord from my roman shades that I used for the cords from the ceiling. Could not believe the difference...no more shoulder, neck pain and the quilt moves easily.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I know people that have but I am not that patient
Old 04-13-2015, 05:24 AM
shy

I have done many queen size on my home machine..it takes major patients..the stopping and starting and adjusting is done constantly..I always start at the center..go top to bottom.I pick a pattern that can be done block by block .so I don't have to worry about connecting block to block..I use the bunch method..where u bunch the quilt around u and the machine.so there is no drag on the quilt..u have to have it well basted..or u will get tucks in the back from all the moving..when u first start is the worse..getting the middle done..I also use a batting that doesn't add to weight of the quilt..I try a plush batting once...but only once...it added inches u don't need to fight with..good luck
Old 04-13-2015, 06:37 AM

Most definitely you can!!! Since you said "with time and patience" I encourage you to go for it. You can look at my gallery and see the ones I have done. The dark navy on white was my biggest effort and was worth it. It made it into the Paducah Show a couple of years ago. It will be a struggle, but can be done.